FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paint Codes

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Ron,

Were you able to locate the mix code on the paint so I can adjust the gloss? Thanks again for the help!

Alex
    Sorry, I couldn't find it in the shop today, but, I just talked to the shooter and he said I stuck it on a shelf in a box with the extra paint. I will grab it in the AM.. fwiw, he also said there was enough to pain another D (I'll weigh it and see if at least half is still there in case you are interested. I know there is a lot of the clear.)

EDIT: He called me back..said he mixed it "50% to the clear...1 clear 1/2 mat".
    Also said, it is relatively expensive materials, but make sure it is all PPG!

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't find it in the shop today, but, I just talked to the shooter and he said I stuck it on a shelf in a box with the extra paint. I will grab it in the AM.. fwiw, he also said there was enough to pain another D (I'll weigh it and see if at least half is still there in case you are interested. I know there is a lot of the clear.)

EDIT: He called me back..said he mixed it "50% to the clear...1 clear 1/2 mat".
    Also said, it is relatively expensive materials, but make sure it is all PPG!
    That's a huge help, Ron, thanks a lot!!

Alex

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Is there a formula for the rim powder coat? Silver and dark grey?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Is there a formula for the rim powder coat? Silver and dark grey?

I'm not aware of one, Dave. For reference, I know DMC CA charges about $100/rim for refinishing.

Alex

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

As far as I know, I was the first to use 2011 Jeep Mineral Grey Metallic when I had my fascias repainted and I couldn't be happier with the results. Several others have since followed suit.

IMG_3705.jpgIMG_3674.jpg556712_685628029056_586460292_n.jpg
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    As far as I know, I was the first to use 2011 Jeep Mineral Grey Metallic when I had my fascias repainted and I couldn't be happier with the results. Several others have since followed suit.

That looks pretty much right on. Is there a clear-coat on that?
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    That looks pretty much right on. Is there a clear-coat on that?
    To be honest, I'm not sure. I would guess there is a clear on top to give it the glossy look. I needed my fascias repainted, saw the color swatch in a Jeep brochure and decided it looked nearly identical. I took the fascias to the paint shop with the Jeep color swatch and told them I wanted to use that paint (Mineral Grey Metallic). When I got the fascias back, I was blown away by how good they looked.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Looks great! Coincidentally enough, I'm picking up my fascias tomorrow. As you saw earlier in the thread, Ron gave me the info I needed. The problem was this: since I live in CA, there are some restrictions on paint that can be used. Even though all the info Ron gave me was good, my friend's shop had a tough time applying the info since we had to go with a more environmental friendly paint. I was real close to having it painted out of state. So I went through a pretty lengthy process developing the right color along with the right matte. I think I got it spot on. The earlier VINs had a gloss finish, the later cars had more of a matte finish. I'm doing an entry on my blog on getting the fascias in order so I'll post a ton of pics in a bit!

Alex Abdalla

My VIN:    4941

paint codes

To be honest, I'm not sure. I would guess there is a clear on top to give it the glossy look. I needed my fascias repainted, saw the color swatch in a Jeep brochure and decided it looked nearly identical. I took the fascias to the paint shop with the Jeep color swatch and told them I wanted to use that paint (Mineral Grey Metallic). When I got the fascias back, I was blown away by how good they looked.
    The code for mineral gray met. is 2011 Chrysler pdm or cdm. Another good code is alpha romeo 651 a. I recommend Basecoat/ clear coat urethane. Do not forget to add flex agent to primer/ sealer and flex agemt/ flattener to your clear coat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2