FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Battery Ground Connections Help

New Battery Ground Connections Help

I want to redo my battery ground. I read somewhere this is done by running a 4 or 6 ga copper wire from battery to engine and transmission than back to frame. Where and how should I exactly connect the new ground wire?

also do I need to ground the battery o the trailing arm? can i move it to somewhere else?>

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Conventional "upgrade" config is battery to frame, frame to a transmission case bolt. Convenient non-epoxy coated holes are provided at the trailing arm, since that is the original ground point. Hervey has a convenient kit for this.

Don't forget to check all your other ground points. Behind the center console, under the LFF at the radiator, etc. See this post for details on those other points.
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ht=ground+list
    Last edited by jawn101; 03-30-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

I have made these exact wires. I just need to know where to connect them. Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? I may not use trailing arm bolt location. I coated my frame with POR 15 so i may grind the coating off somewhere to there is a nice clean connection to metal frame. Is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by coreydmc View Post
    I have made these exact wires. I just need to know where to connect them. Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? I may not use trailing arm bolt location. I coated my frame with POR 15 so i may grind the coating off somewhere to there is a nice clean connection to metal frame. Is this ok?
    No reason you can't use whatever point you want, but don't use the TAB itself. The original point was on the TAB bracket. But that bolt moves as the suspension does and wouldn't be a wise choice for the ground.
    Jon

ok great! is this how I should run the cables? Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt or equivelent. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? Should the cables splice together at trailing bolt junction?

Quote Originally Posted by coreydmc View Post
    ok great! is this how I should run the cables? Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt or equivelent. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? Should the cables splice together at trailing bolt junction?
    Yes. Join them at a common bolt on the frame before continuing on to the transmission. This will give the best connection.
    Jon

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Jon do you have pics? I'm a little fuzzy on which trailing arm bolt you are referring to.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Jon do you have pics? I'm a little fuzzy on which trailing arm bolt you are referring to.
    Oof, I wish I did. I've been scouring my archive and didn't take any when I put in the cables, apparently. The one thing I haven't documented it would seem.

Hopefully this will help. On my car, the main ground point was one of the bolts holding #27 to the frame. So not the primary TAB, but rather the reinforcing plate where it mounts.

Jon

is it ok to use 4ga or 6ga wire for this application? is thicker better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast