FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chassis 3D model in PDF

My VIN:    3771

Chassis 3D model in PDF

I decided to share my 3D model of the chassis exported to 3D PDF - thought that somebody may find it useful. Based on countless sessions of manual measurements of a real thing, but I don't guarantee it's 100% accurate (some areas are not fully verified yet, especially the front end). Some day I'm going to make a reproduction for myself based on this, so I'd appreciate pointing out any design errors.

DMC12_chassis_by_Rhye.PDF

My VIN:    6125

I downloaded the PDF but it's coming up blank. Not sure if that's an issue on my end or with the file itself. Do you have it saved in any other format like STP or IGS?

I know how much time and effort goes into measuring and modeling, so thanks for sharing your work so freely with the community.

My VIN:    Former owner of 10439 Currently own 06291

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Same... it comes up blank
    Adam Brandt
    Former owner of 10439 Stage II
    Owner of 06291 DMCH rebuild, Stage II, Eibach, SS Frame

Quote Originally Posted by orangecrrrush View Post
    Same... it comes up blank
    You may have to click the blank page to display the model. Works with Acrobat Reader X and XI (just checked) - not sure about other versions.

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I downloaded the PDF but it's coming up blank. Not sure if that's an issue on my end or with the file itself. Do you have it saved in any other format like STP or IGS?

I know how much time and effort goes into measuring and modeling, so thanks for sharing your work so freely with the community.
    I second this. If you would be willing to share a version in step or iges or some other editable solid model format it would be greatly appreciated.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    You may have to click the blank page to display the model. Works with Acrobat Reader X and XI (just checked) - not sure about other versions.
    That worked for me.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    16655

I decided to share my 3D model of the chassis exported to 3D PDF - thought that somebody may find it useful. Based on countless sessions of manual measurements of a real thing, but I don't guarantee it's 100% accurate (some areas are not fully verified yet, especially the front end). Some day I'm going to make a reproduction for myself based on this, so I'd appreciate pointing out any design errors.

DMC12_chassis_by_Rhye.PDF
    This is awesome! It's exactly what I was looking for- I can only imagine how much time it took to make this. It did take throwing fit over to my work computer that has a full version of Adobe to be able to view it though- any chance of getting a step file export of it that can be pulled into actual CAD programs to interrogate? It will be a little while (like, months at best) but once I have the body pulled from mine to do all the rust repair I'll do checks on my frame as well to add to the pool of measurements if it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
    any chance of getting a step file export of it that can be pulled into actual CAD programs to interrogate?
    I know there are probably many people who would want a fully editable assembly, but I don't yet feel ready to just give it away. On the other hand, I don't think I'd ever turn it into any business (too many other activities), so I'll think about it...

There's a quite nice measurement feature in AReader XI so you can check all the dimensions you want. But as I said, my model may not be 100% correct.

My VIN:    16655

I know there are probably many people who would want a fully editable assembly, but I don't yet feel ready to just give it away. On the other hand, I don't think I'd ever turn it into any business (too many other activities), so I'll think about it...

There's a quite nice measurement feature in AReader XI so you can check all the dimensions you want. But as I said, my model may not be 100% correct.
    OK, XI is a lot better, and I can actually use it on my Mac to boot (though going from Catia's navigation to XI's is a bit of a disconnect, but that happens between Catia & Patran as well...). The more I look at the model the more impressed I am- being able to hide the different panels is something I didn't expect Adobe to be able to do.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    That worked for me.
    I was able to get it working also. Just had to adjust some security settings to allow 3D viewing and then I could click to open the file.

Really impressive modeling work.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-09-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast