FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug discussion***Split from engine car reassembled thread***

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Spark plug discussion***Split from engine car reassembled thread***

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Why +4's? I've heard nothing but bad stuff about those plugs, especially when used in a D. Bosch silver's work just fine. The only function of a plug is to create an arc. It only needs one tip to do it!

Andy
    I've only heard and experienced bad things with the single prong platinums, I've had no issues with the +4's. Personally installed them on well over 10 cars without out issue, that should be good enough stats for Steve to use them. I will say this, the OEM Bosch, silver I believe, are great too.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I've only heard and experienced bad things with the single prong platinums, I've had no issues with the +4's. Personally installed them on well over 10 cars without out issue, that should be good enough stats for Steve to use them. I will say this, the OEM Bosch, silver I believe, are great too.
    Nonsense.

I'm not saying the plugs are why his car won't start but the concept with those plugs are stupid. I've actually seen better gas mileage on my Geo Metro running a set of cheap NGK plugs that were properly gapped.

The concept of the +4 plugs are stupid in my opinion. The spark will only travel across one of the prongs and not all four. I've never had a problem with properly gapped plugs. What I have had a problem with is plugs that weren't gapped to the correct setting.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Nonsense.

I'm not saying the plugs are why his car won't start but the concept with those plugs are stupid. I've actually seen better gas mileage on my Geo Metro running a set of cheap NGK plugs that were properly gapped.

The concept of the +4 plugs are stupid in my opinion. The spark will only travel across one of the prongs and not all four. I've never had a problem with properly gapped plugs. What I have had a problem with is plugs that weren't gapped to the correct setting.
    Never argued concept or gas mileage. Just that I've never had issue with a car running poor with +4s.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Nonsense.

I've seen exactly the opposite on a few cars I've run +4 on. Better MPG with the +4s.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11596

Nonsense.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I've seen exactly the opposite on a few cars I've run +4 on. Better MPG with the +4s.
    And how can this be explained? I see no logical reason + 4's would help anything unless one of the tips break... You still have 3 left :-P

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I've never compared the bosch fancy smancy ones to a plain old spark plug on my Delorean but on my Geo Metro I did find that I get better gas mileage with plain old NGK plugs.

Are you sure you aren't comparing 4 prong plugs to improperly gapped regular plugs?

And how can this be explained? I see no logical reason + 4's would help anything unless one of the tips break... You still have 3 left :-P
    The only think I can think of is the regular plug was either old or wasn't properly gapped.

My VIN:    03572

I don't have an explanation for it just the result comparison. I replaced the stock plugs and maybe they were gaped to wide after long use.

Why did your car do better with stock plugs?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I don't have an explanation for it just the result comparison. I replaced the stock plugs and maybe they were gaped to wide after long use.

Why did your car do better with stock plugs?
    I don't know since I've never tried using +4's. I use standard Bosch Silver's. I prefer to let others experiment so I don't waste my money...

http://www.dmchelp.com/showthread.ph...sch-platinum-4

Vendor comments are enough to make me stay away.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Banned

I don't know since I've never tried using +4's. I use standard Bosch Silver's. I prefer to let others experiment so I don't waste my money...

http://www.dmchelp.com/showthread.ph...sch-platinum-4

Vendor comments are enough to make me stay away.

Andy
    Dave is awesome.

One of the ideas is that they will fire to the closest prong, and when it erodes enough, it will fire to the next closet, etc., multiplying the life (proper gap range) of the plug... -- There is not $.02 difference in the way it will run with the "correct" plug.

Avoid "close enough" crossovers and brands with high DOA and/or premature failure rates by using the Bosch Silver or Platinum.
    If you want longer lasting snake oil, get the four prong ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast