FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug discussion***Split from engine car reassembled thread***

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    One of the ideas is that they will fire to the closest prong, and when it erodes enough, it will fire to the next closet, etc., multiplying the life (proper gap range) of the plug... -- There is not $.02 difference in the way it will run with the "correct" plug.

Avoid "close enough" crossovers and brands with high DOA and/or premature failure rates by using the Bosch Silver or Platinum.
    If you want longer lasting snake oil, get the four prong ;-)
    That is a good point about firing to the next closest when one prong wears out.

Here is a thought. I wonder if the 4 prong plugs have different gaps amongst each prong. I'm not poking fun but am genuinely curious.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That is a good point about firing to the next closest when one prong wears out.

Here is a thought. I wonder if the 4 prong plugs have different gaps amongst each prong. I'm not poking fun but am genuinely curious.
    Their goal is to make them the same...if they made them progressively shorter, then they would be wasting the difference for each of the three shorter ones... As is, they take turns being the longest (repeatedly), but not necessarily in order, of course...

My VIN:    03572

It makes sense that the +4 would have four times the life. Maybe the fact the spark is open at the bottom is why it seemed to work better for me.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It makes sense that the +4 would have four times the life. Maybe the fact the spark is open at the bottom is why it seemed to work better for me.
    True but isn't it amusing that a certain vendor replaces these plugs without question whenever working on ignition problems?

True but isn't it amusing that a certain vendor replaces these plugs without question whenever working on ignition problems?
    Amusing? I suppose I dont understand Steve humor. There were also times when certain vendors said we had to use Purflux oil filters(might be before your time) and that Nology spark plugs/wires added performance.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    06960

I had tried the +4 in combination with an alternate coil way back 8 years ago. Car ran like absolute crap the whole time they were in there. Put the stock coil back on with a new set of copper plugs and all was good again. Dont know if it was both, a combo of both, or just one of the two. Never looked back. That was the shortest lived waste of money I ever put in the DeLorean.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    03572

I have two sets of the vendor recomended plugs just waiting for my +4 s to cause problems. It's been 5 years and they still run so good I have not replaced them.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Amusing? I suppose I dont understand Steve humor. There were also times when certain vendors said we had to use Purflux oil filters(might be before your time) and that Nology spark plugs/wires added performance.
    I believe captain carburator and Grady believe in regular spark plugs as well.

I believe captain carburator and Grady believe in regular spark plugs as well.
    I'll congratulate them the next time I see them.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DCF) (DCH)

The idea of the +4 connects are ridiculous in my view. The ignite will only journey across one of the prongs and not all four. I've never had a issue with effectively gapped connects. What I have had a issue with is connects that weren't gapped to the appropriate establishing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast