FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Forbes article: Why Jay Leno hates Deloreans.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Forbes article: Why Jay Leno hates Deloreans.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahel...es-delorean/3/

I have lost some respect for this man. Love his collection, but he can be a douchebag sometimes.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

He's entitled to his opinion but it seems his opinion might not be based on all the facts which is a shame.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    3028

I don't get this article, I could have sworn I once saw an episode of my classic car where they were walking around Jay's secret lair, and in the background I saw a DeLorean.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

There's an episode of Jay Leno's Garage on his website where he tests a DeLorean owned by someone else. He explains this whole story in the clip. I really can't fault him because I really don't know the true details of the drug incident, but it seems like he may be a little misinformed.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the...ml#item=115654
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I've never really had respect for the man. He is just an entertainer.

Does anyone remember the discussion we had about him endorsing lifetime coolant? Anyone who thinks they can put coolant in their car and leave it there for 20+ years is an idiot in my book.

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    There's an episode of Jay Leno's Garage on his website where he tests a DeLorean owned by someone else. He explains this whole story in the clip.
    Perhaps the fact that he knew people who were directly affected by the scandal (i.e. investors such as Johnny Carson), helped form his negative/differing opinion.

However, If I remember correctly, he give the car a pretty fair shake in that video. Also, at car shows here in Southern Cal, he's been known to be very cordial to Delorean owners.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

His comments in that Forbes article go back years. Even though that particular article may be brand new, that story is much older. It seems he's kind of come around though since then, not so much as to buy a DeLorean for himself, but enough that he did that review video of a refurbished car (or new build? can't remember) and seemed to present it quite fairly IIRC.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

I'm sorry, but i'm not a lover of JZD just because I bought one of his cars that bears his name.
    I know everyone has a side they take, everyone has an opinion on the drug sting thing. I read book after book, story after story, etc... and honestly I feel there were bad dealings going on, acquitted or not. Lets face it, you just dont walk into a situation where someone drops a briefcase of cocaine in front of you for you to ponder over...
    Is it possible so many stories about the man were ALL false? To be honest, alot of people look up to the man as a type of "car saint". Sorry, I don't follow any person like that. You built me a car, I thank you for it. Your personal life was pretty f'd up, sorry to hear that. Your rep was destroyed, sorry to hear that. Thanks for the car, thank you for muscle cars. That's the limit of my emotions toward the man.

One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I'm sorry, but i'm not a lover of JZD just because I bought one of his cars that bears his name.
    I know everyone has a side they take, everyone has an opinion on the drug sting thing. I read book after book, story after story, etc... and honestly I feel there were bad dealings going on, acquitted or not. Lets face it, you just dont walk into a situation where someone drops a briefcase of cocaine in front of you for you to ponder over...
    Is it possible so many stories about the man were ALL false? To be honest, alot of people look up to the man as a type of "car saint". Sorry, I don't follow any person like that. You built me a car, I thank you for it. Your personal life was pretty f'd up, sorry to hear that. Your rep was destroyed, sorry to hear that. Thanks for the car, thank you for muscle cars. That's the limit of my emotions toward the man.
    Yup, I am on the same side of the fence as you. I am under no illusions about JZD, I know he was no saint, but I can't quite bring myself to condem him either. I can't help but to admire his accomplishments and respect his drive, and maybe that influences my feelings toward JZD's character. I also know how the media(and the general public) love to see successful people fall hard, so even though in my heart of hearts I think he was more shady than I like to admit, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

......and lets be honest, he made a damn good looking car
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    6585

I said about a decade ago that Jay Leno was a douchebag who hated DeLoreans because of an article back then. And I don't call him a douchebag because he doesn't like De Lorean himself or even the DMC-12. I call him that because of an old article where he was being interviewed about people who try to sell him cars, and he claimed that he was always having people contact him with DeLoreans for sale that were used to smuggle cocaine. And that leads me to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I know everyone has a side they take, everyone has an opinion on the drug sting thing.
    Having an opinion is perfectly fine. As you say everyone has their take on this. However while opinions are are subject to change, FACTS are not! You can say all day that De Lorean screwed up, and you can even speculate as to why. But the facts themselves are undeniable:

1. JOHN DE LOREAN WAS ACQUITTED OF ALL CHARGES.
    2. AT NO TIME WAS DMC, DMCL, THEIR SUBSIDIARIES NOR EQUIPMENT INCLUDING ANY DMC-12 AUTOMOBILES IN INVENTORY OR OTHER FLEET VEHICLES EVER USED FOR THE TRANSPORTATION AND/OR DISTRIBUTION OF NARCOTICS.
    3. AT NO TIME WAS DELOREAN MOTOR COMPANY OR IT'S SUBSIDIARIES INVOLVED WITH NARCOTICS TRAFFICKING.
    4. JOHN DE LOREAN DID NOT USE COCAINE OR ANY OTHER DRUGS.
    5. JOHN DE LOREAN DID NOT TRAFFIC NOR DISTRIBUTE NARCOTICS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Jay Leno is known for constantly going off half-assed with his comments by never letting the truth get in the way of a good story. He may not always be an outright liar, but he certainly will omit the truth in order to present his position as factual even when they are not simply to maintain the false image of being some sort of an authority about whatever it is he's talking about. And it doesn't matter what your opinions on JZD are, if you know the facts you have an absolute duty to acknowledge and inform others of them. And don't hand me some story that Leno might not know all the facts. De Lorean is an infamous name in the annals of Automotive History to the point where if you consider yourself a true historian, there is absolutely no way that you coulnd't possibly know the facts surrounding the downfall of the man or the company. And if you don't, well then you're not exactly as great of a car guy as you present yourself to be, are you?

Calling John De Lorean a "sleazy coke dealer" now after the man is dead? No doubt Leno would do that. Wait until the man is dead to not only not be able to defend himself but ensure that he can't sue you're ass for libel. Real classy, Leno.

Long before this whole circle-jerk of hero worship of Jay Leno came about (simply because he's got lots of cars), I called this out and warned everyone that while he might be a gearhead, be aware that he hates DeLoreans. And I know I'm an asshole, and I while I don't care what you think about me, everyone should absolutely know the truth about both the history of their cars as well as the piss-poor integrity of their heros. I know JZD's faults, did any of you pay attention to know Leno's?

There is though something very familiar about all of this... Shit-talking DeLoreans, then acting all nice when they extend an olive branch and lying to them that you love their cars, and then just ripping them apart publicly again the first chance you get. Where *have* I heard this before...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast