FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Forbes article: Why Jay Leno hates Deloreans.

My VIN:    1225

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thats ok because Johnny Carson loved it and he was wayyyyyy better on The Tonight Show than Jay anyway

Fuck him!!!

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Why does anyone even care what Leno thinks? He's a fat slob in my opinion.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

I like Leno in that I find him entertaining on his Car website. But, I don't take him too seriously, especially when it comes to his knowledge of automotive history. Really, he's the same as any other guy at a cruise night who has been around for a while and knows cars, but still is not a human encyclopedia and mixes his opinions and emotions with what he presents as 'facts'. He's not an automotive journalist or historian. However, he really seems to have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of his own 100+ cars. I think Leno really is a true car guy (whatever that means) and he has got his opinions about things like anyone else, though he has a big audience to present them to.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Nothing witty here lest it offend

When a man invests $500K+ into a company, then learns of money diversions and hiring unneeded consultants and Concorde flights and learns first hand in LA traffic that the product is not as promised, you might be a bit sore about it. This was undoubtedly the story Johnny related to his young apprentice. Jay worshipped Johnny, Johnny was everything he wanted to be and it is fair to assume that what Johnny told him was -- and IS-- gospel to this day

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    When a man invests $500K+ into a company, then learns of money diversions and hiring unneeded consultants and Concorde flights and learns first hand in LA traffic that the product is not as promised, you might be a bit sore about it. This was undoubtedly the story Johnny related to his young apprentice. Jay worshipped Johnny, Johnny was everything he wanted to be and it is fair to assume that what Johnny told him was -- and IS-- gospel to this day
    What does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to somehow insinuate that Jay Leno's opinion on John De Lorean is actually Johnny Carson's regurgitated? If that's the case, why wouldn't you just come out and say it?

Aside from that, Leno was hardly Carson's *apprentice*, and certainly wasn't the first choice by him as a replacement. If you want a good read as well as some much needed information, here's a good place to start:

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to somehow insinuate that Jay Leno's opinion on John De Lorean is actually Johnny Carson's regurgitated? If that's the case, why wouldn't you just come out and say it?

Aside from that, Leno was hardly Carson's *apprentice*, and certainly wasn't the first choice by him as a replacement. If you want a good read as well as some much needed information, here's a good place to start:

I did come out and say it. And in a lot less than a page of text.

I did not bring up Carson's preference of Letterman over Leno. That is a separate issue. (The fact of the matter is that The Tonight Show was not Carson's property to bestow, and Leno had the best agent in the business.)

Despite the fact that Carson was much closer to Letterman, that does not mean that Leno did not lionize and admire Carson, which he did. My point, that I'm "coming right out and saying" is that if you remember the jokes of the era, Carson had a lot of disdain for the DeLorean affair, and one imagines that it influenced the man that admired him so.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    I did come out and say it.

<SNIP>

My point, that I'm "coming right out and saying" is that if you remember the jokes of the era, Carson had a lot of disdain for the DeLorean affair, and one imagines that it influenced the man that admired him so.
    No, you didn't come right out and say anything. And also pay attention to your own quote, because you used the word "imagines". This is exactly what I'm talking about with Leno, and so many others. If you're going to say something it needs to be a fact unless otherwise noted. Otherwise I and others can "imagine" lots of things. More to the point however is that "imagining" is not an excuse for innacuracies and lies.

You want to say that Leno's opinion on John Z. De Lorean was influenced by Johnny Carson? You need to be able to back that statement up with a factual citation. Speculation is NOT acceptable. And if you ARE going to speculate on such things, then you need to ensure that you include the proper advisory in your own statements in order to ensure that your opinions are laid out clearly for the reader.

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'd like to weigh in on the JZD opinions with my own. I like a lot about JZD because there are numerous things about him that remind me of myself; sort of typing out a list, suffice it to say that there are similarities between most car enthusiasts. However, I don't claim to know all the details of the events of his life and, having never met him, all I can base my opinion on is what I've read and heard.

It may not be an advanced or scientific means, but I'd judge DeLorean's character by this impossible scenario: I'm in a bar and so is he. I recognize him and offer to buy him a drink as a thanks for building a car I love and giving it a good try. If he were to respond in a courteous manner with the slightest air of humility, then i'd say he was a stand-up guy. The way I see it, anyone you can buy a car from and you wouldn't object to have a drink with afterward is a decent human being.

Real Cars are Steel Cars xbrules's Avatar

My VIN:    02065

I thought that article was pretty skint, got bored and clicked on the link to the video of Dita Von Teese driving her Packard and 46 Ford Super Deluxe instead... Hot Chick + Biff's Car = Far more interesting...
    Dave Newbury, 1976 XB Fairmont GS Hardtop 351, 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 #02065

No, you didn't come right out and say anything. And also pay attention to your own quote, because you used the word "imagines". This is exactly what I'm talking about with Leno, and so many others. If you're going to say something it needs to be a fact unless otherwise noted. Otherwise I and others can "imagine" lots of things. More to the point however is that "imagining" is not an excuse for innacuracies and lies.
    I know what I said.

I have no problem making educated guesses without 100% certainty. These guesses lead to a great many things that we enjoy in life. This is distinguished from a "lie" such as "DMCVEGAS enjoys putting turnips in his butt" because I don't know that you do, and such a thing is ridiculous to conjecture. Nor an inaccuracy like "DMCVEGAS never uses the word 'insinuate' when twisting an argument with logical fallacies" which, as we all know, would be highly inaccurate.

You want to say that Leno's opinion on John Z. De Lorean was influenced by Johnny Carson? You need to be able to back that statement up with a factual citation. Speculation is NOT acceptable. And if you ARE going to speculate on such things, then you need to ensure that you include the proper advisory in your own statements in order to ensure that your opinions are laid out clearly for the reader.
    Yeah, I wanna say that. After all, it lead to a moment in Tonight Show history that no one had ever seen and beyond compare. Let me paraphrase: Informant Hoffman was examined by JZD attorney Weitzman. Hoffman said that JZD had told him (Hoffman) that JZD had previously dealt in Cocaine with Johnny Carson. This caused a furor. Carson came out, sat at his desk and ranted about how disgusted he was.

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/...NITY/101260005

Forget about the investment of $500K in 1980 dollars (or whenever it was.) Forget about how JZD had used Carson's celebrity status from the very beginning to tout the car. Now, for all his efforts, Carson had been implicated in drug dealing, which is ludicrous on its face.

Some years later Carson gladly let the car go at auction, at what (if I REMEMBER CORRECTLY) was just a few thousand dollars over the going market price for a used Delorean in LA. Here's Johnny, he's like a God to young Leno who aspires to the thrown. Yes, I think it impacted Leno's appreciation of the Delorean. How could it not?

Now. You can look for your own damn citations.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast