FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K-Jetronic System

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    ... I also just learned that K-Jet was used on the Countach.
    On the V12, dual K-Jet was used. Twice the K-Jet fun!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    On the V12, dual K-Jet was used. Twice the K-Jet fun!
    I didn't realize that... incredible. That must have been a real b1tc# to troubleshoot!!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

... That must have been a real b1tc# to troubleshoot!!
    Do ya think ... check the engine compartment of this 89!
    89 Countach Dual K-jet.jpg

A Google for Countach engine will get other variations with the Bosh CIS system. All appear to be a plumbing nightmare and a tight engine compartment. Read up on the engine some time. It is a real strange configuration (including the drive shaft going through the block if I recall correctly).

Lamborghini Countaches were equipped with 6x Weber carburetors up to the 5000QV. That was when it switched to Bosch CIS K-Jet for cars sold in the US. Europe stuck with the 6x Webers

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Do ya think ... check the engine compartment of this 89!
    89 Countach Dual K-jet.jpg

A Google for Countach engine will get other variations with the Bosh CIS system. All appear to be a plumbing nightmare and a tight engine compartment. Read up on the engine some time. It is a real strange configuration (including the drive shaft going through the block if I recall correctly).

Lamborghini Countaches were equipped with 6x Weber carburetors up to the 5000QV. That was when it switched to Bosch CIS K-Jet for cars sold in the US. Europe stuck with the 6x Webers
    That thing is nuts. I see two fuel filters. Are there 2 of everything? Accumulators, CPRs, etc? Gonna go read up like you suggested. I always wanted a Countach. Maybe not so much now
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    0934

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    I know a couple Ferraris here locally that use K-Jet systems have been pretty good as long as the cars are driven (which can be said for any car!)......

The other 2 Ferraris are a 1985 308 QV and 1980 400i V-12. I have been helping the owner of the 400i some.

K-Jet is not that bad of a system. May not be perfect, but not horrible!
    A 21-year run on literally millions of cars tells us that the DeLorean was equipped with a world-class fuel management system - from the '70s and '80s, that is. Almost all of the European OEMs used it. Successfully, it seems.

Here's the K-Jet section from the wiki entry for Jetronic, Bosch's brand name which covers several generations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

K-Jetronic (1973–1994)

Mechanical fuel injection. The 'K' stands for German: "Kontinuierlich", meaning continuous. This is different from pulsed injection systems, in that the fuel flows continuously from all injectors, while the fuel pump pressurises the fuel up to approximately 5 bar (72.5 psi). The air that is taken in is also weighed - to determine the amount of fuel to inject. Commonly called 'Continuous Injection System' (CIS) in the USA. This system has no lambda loop or lambda control. K-Jetronic debuted in the 1973.5 Porsche 911T in January 1973, and was later installed into a number of Porsche, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Ferrari, Peugeot, Renault, Volvo, Saab, DeLorean and Ford automobiles. The final car to use K-Jetronic was the 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6.
    Gasoline is pumped from the fuel tank to a large control valve called a fuel distributor, which separates the single fuel supply pipe from the tank into smaller pipes, one for each injector. The fuel distributor is mounted atop a control vane through which all intake air must pass, and the system works by varying fuel volume supplied to the injectors based on the angle of the air vane, which in turn is determined by the volume flowrate of air past the vane, and by the control pressure. The control pressure is regulated with a mechanical device called the control pressure regulator (CPR) or the warm-up regulator (WUR). Depending on the model, the CPR may be used to compensate for altitude, full load, and/or a cold engine. On cars equipped with an oxygen sensor, the fuel mixture is adjusted by a device called the frequency valve. The injectors are simple spring-loaded check valves with nozzles; once fuel system pressure becomes high enough to overcome the counterspring, the injectors begin spraying.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

That must have been a real b1tc# to troubleshoot!!
    You spelled "bitch" wrong. :P
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2