FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Resurrection of 6410!

My VIN:    6410

UPDATE TIME!

Ok, yesterday I spent almost all day on the car got a lot of things cleaned up and its starting to look more like a nice car instead of a pile of parts lol. Sadly though along side my cleaning I discovered that a mouse or rat had built a nest inside the front fascia behind the grill! At which point it decided to use the headlight wiring harness as nesting material! So a new harness has been added to the list of parts that I need to purchase. Yesterday was a day where it seemed like I'm not going to get her done before June but I'm going to keep at it! Due to a dead battery on the camera yesterday and rain today I have no pictures to post on progress. Although I think I will finish the engine up tonight and tomorrow night, I have put it off too long! After I get done with that its time to start on the wiring for the new engine while I wait on my remaining parts! Also went to put in the replacement pass torsion bar and it torqued and then discovered that the retaining plate refused to go on. DMCH suggested that the spline on the plate were twisted from being under torque as it still fit perfectly. Another user on the forum suggested that the bar had 'mushroomed' from not being installed for so long or not properly uninstalled/installed the last time it was in service. So that door has gone from slightly annoying to open to cant for the life of me pick this damned door up because the strut and old torsion bar, which was welded, has been removed. Well thats all the updates I have for now. Thanks for everyones support and watch of my project!

David, 6410
    davidrucker11387 - dmctalk.org
    DeLoDave - YouTube

Ok so next 2 weeks is parts purchasing time! Woo Hoo! Some is a must before driveability others are necessary for things to work right such as gauges or a/c etc...

DMCH
    K101272 A/C Evaporator Kit
    K100790 Side Lights
    K101315 Head Light Kit
    106018 (*2) Lock Rods [the door lock switch to the bell crank. PO removed them along with disconnecting all lock electronics]
    103753 Torque Converter
    100536 Headlight Wiring Harness [current eaten by mouse or rat]
    106913 Fuse Box [probably not really necessary but while im working on the rest of the wiring why not?]
    102709 Thermostat
    102156 Gasket for above
    100816 Otterstat Switch
    106959 Otterstat Seal
    102763 Oil Pressure Sensor (Gauge)
    102462 Oil Pressure Sensor (Light)
    102450 Temp Switch [Is this what controls the temp gauge on the dash?]

DPNW
    Door Lock Actuators

DIYAutoTune.com
    A small selection of plugs and connectors that I have misplaced.

Tires
    Cooper CS4 Touring [By changing the rear from 230 to 225 more matching set options are available, its only a 0.6" difference in diameter]
    195/60-14 (*2)
    225/60-50 (*2)

The mass of these purchases are based on wither or not my 01 Ranger sells, which I hope to know for sure tomorrow or Sunday! Also most likely I will take the 1st or 2nd full week in May to do nothing but work on my D. Im super excited to finally be able to drive her! I will try to get better pictures and videos to post the next time that I work on her. Also, still haven't decided what to do about my pass door situation.

David, 6410
    DeLoDave - YouTube

OK! I have decided what to do about my torsion bar woes! I am going to reinstall my old 'welded' one. As it wont hold the door in the fully opened position it will allow it to open easily. Because I am planning on bringing my D to DCS I am going to bring along my TB that wont fit and get assistance while there! I'm sure that out of the mass of owners and vendors that I can find the correct proper solution to my problem or at least find out if I will just have to purchase one or not. I have also pushed most cosmetic issues down the list as well. Also, to obtain driveability quicker Im only going to concentrate on parts that make the car go! I will worry about sensors for the dash lights and gauges later as my EFI unit can supply all gauge values except speed and fuel to either my laptop or android phone. My goal is now to make it driveable BEFORE the middle of next month so that I can drive it around town daily to ensure proper operation before the 500-600 mile trip to orlando!

Side note, Who all from north of atlanta will be driving their D? I would like to have at least 2 other D's in a convoy with me. In the event of trouble we can get a solution and back on the road! I have not yet gotten a room but checked yesterday and they were available I will be booking tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone!
    David - 6410
    DeLoDave - YouTube

The torsion bar has little to do with holding the door open at full extension - it mostly pops the door open for the first few inches of travel. If you have issues at that end of its travel you may want to inspect your struts.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    06960

Perhaps, but the door still cannot be held up with a good strut and a significantly under-torqued TB.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    5086

I have my Eagle 3.0L build on hold for a Turbo Esprit I'm rebuilding, so I have a few questions for you relating to your eagle build. I don't know if my thread is still alive after DMCTalk exploded recently and haven't looked for it, but I had a lot of info and pics there.

Are you swapping in mechanical lifters from the B280? These won't cause valve float like the hydraulic ones in the eagle engine. I have an extra set if you're looking for some. The eagle heads flow better than the B280 so its good you're probably using those, but the B280 throttle body and connecting pipe are larger and flow much better than the eagle counterparts.

I have a few videos about the beginning of this build which you can find on my youtube channel. Here's one about the throttle body differences.

Ok, Here's the latest!

Engine
    Last night I got the rear main seal installed the intake gaskets and fuel injectors with new seals also installed. Picked up some hoses and ordered a thermostat at O'Reilly's today so hopefully will have the water pump and intake manifold installed tonight. On the 3.0 Eagle engine that I have the rotor is bolted straight to the cam shaft via a 2 part assembly called the Distributor Drive part of which I am missing! Called my local Dodge and apparently its not available to order and discontinued but the parts guy was able to track down a single dealership that happened to have ONE. Called them it will be shipped out soon as my money order arrives. So I cant verify timing, install timing cover or valve covers until that arrives. But luckily it was only $37 after shipping. There was a statement about the lifters and throttle body. These 2 mods are really nice to have for this engine. I may change out the throttle body at some point as it is a good bit larger for the b280 engine. As of right now I don't have plans to use the lifters or cams. For 2 reasons... I dont really have the funds or time to get them and I have already installed the stock Eagle ones which are held down by the head bolts. Which if I remove them to swap the lifters a new head gasket set must also be used which also goes back to time and money lol.

Transmission
    Got the governor cover removed and looked at the circuits. They look to be in good condition. No signs of heat damage, shorts, or bad caps. However I am going to go ahead and do the necessary mods and upgrades while the trans is out of the car and is easy to access. The splines for the torque converter appear to be in good shape with no abnormal wear, which i was worried about because I had to separate the engine and trans by leaving the TC on the engine because the engine was locked up and couldn't be turned to get to the flexplate/TC bolts. Tonight I am going to try to pull the trans pan and drain the final drive and inspect the magnets for metal particles which I pray are within acceptable parameters because I can't afford a new Trans at the moment. May also start cleaning the trans up too as its quite dirty depends on time, sleepy'ness and the girlfriend.

The Torsion Bar
    The struts are new well a couple years with very few cycles on them. If you think about the torsion bar popping the door that would mean that the TB holds most of the weight of the door and the strut acts to fully raise the door after the weight reduction done by the TB. The best way to see this is to remove the strut and open the door and feel its weight with the TB at torque and try to open a door with the TB and strut removed its almost a 100lbs difference.

Exhaust
    I would love to put one of the custom exhaust systems on this engine but time and money are in bit of a bind in the attempt to make it to DCS so I am going with the stock setup until the time and funds become available for an upgrade. I plan on having the manifolds and muffler sand or bead blasted and coated with exhaust paint. I realize that the paint may not hold up to the test of time but it will make it look nice until the upgrade happens.

D.C.S.!
    I have the hotel room booked! Can't wait!!!! This will be my first DCS and really hope I get the D done in time to make. As of right now the plans are me and the GF will travel down in the D! My dad as of right now is a maybe but if he comes he would fly into Orlando and I would grab him at the airport and stay in my room, as the only ones left are the '2 double bed' rooms.

Appearance
    Did a little more stripping and blasting today I love seeing more and more stainless appear! It's slow starting to look like its suppose to!

Missing Items!
    Ok so upon going through all my storage and boxes I have discovered that there are a significant amount of items missing for my D! 4 of which are listed as not available at DMCH! Those are the A/C Fascia 108920, A/C Mode Control Switch 100752, Quadrant Top Plate 100689, and Quadrant Lower Plate 110082. For those that don't know the quadrant plates are the plastic trim pieces below the automatic shifter handle. A total of $933 worth of parts not counting taxes or shipping are gone! I had someone around that I cought stealing that I believe may took a box that containted these items as everything else has been accounted for along with about 4 to 6 items that I know were grouped together with the missing items which means they were removed from said box before taking it! All of these items are cosmetic excluding the distributor drive mentioned above and 3 idle pulleys which are available at O'Reilly's for my eagle engine. If anyone has any spares of the above items that are not available any more I would love to know if anyone is willing to sell them! May end up seeing what I can get at DCS! The missing mode switch may prompt me to see about developing a bolt on electronic solution but ill just take that one step at a time! I would love to A/C in June traveling down I-75 lol.

Closing
    I know I have been promising pictures without taking any, so I will try to take care of that tonight! Thanks for everyone's help and following my thread! It's always nice to hear suggestions and opinions.
    Thank you!

David - 6410
    DeLoDave - YouTube

Next Update!

Engine
    I got the water pump fully installed, intake manifold installed, fuel injectors and rails installed. That doesnt sound like much but I during the process 2 water pump bolts were missing and 1 fuel injector was missing! Finally located the items and the install went along very well. Well with the exception of a dropped intake manifold bolt falling down into the valley! I managed to find a piece of vinyl tubing that after slipping over the bolt managed to pull it out without having to repull the manifold. Found an air filter box that should work well with the 3.0 intake tubing just have to make a mount for it and find a good way to install it!

Transmission
    Sadly didnt get anything done on the tranny. But is there a good way to check the function of the vacuum pressure regulator on the back without it being in the car?

Missing Items
    Update on the missing items. I found today a good number of the parts that were missing including 3 of the 4 items that are not available anymore! The one thats still missing is the A/C mode switch! I will redo my missing items list and get it posted.

Also, got a good order into DMCH and waiting on a call from Harvey on the axle boot plates that I am missing. He said he may have a few in his warehouse so im hopeful that he finds them this weekend! As promised pictures are also attached!

Until next time!
    David - 6410
    DeLoDave - YouTube
    Attached Images

Haven't done much in the past few days but hope to change that tonight! Just got word that my engine part has shipped, ordered a few other odds and ends yesterday that should be in by the end of the week. DMCH should be paid today for their order! Harvey did manage to find some boot plates for the axles and has them boxed and ready to go, hope to have those paid for and shipped in the next couple days!

IN OTHER NEWS, (This might Interest Everyone)
    I am not sure yet but I found a A/C mode vacuum switch that "might" be a possible cross reference to a MASS produced car! It has the same 7 position selection like the one on our cars and looks to be spaced the same way! It also has 5 vacuum ports on the back also like the D. The order of selections is also almost identical. I ordered one to 'play' with. If this proves to be a successful endeavor I will post all the information that I have for it when I get it! Wish me luck!!!

Hello everyone! Well the engine is now 90-95% complete! Started on the transmission tonight found 3 things that are troubling me!!! I could use some advice from someone more experienced!!!

1st while draining some of the fluid I noticed that there was some water in with the fluid not too much though but it was there which worries me what damage that it may have caused inside the trans.

2nd looking into the bell housing it looks like there was a hole at one point and has been welded up! I'm not sure if this was a repair or maybe something from assembly although i personally doubt the latter! (see attached pic)

3rd I tipped the transmission up to look at the bottom and some fluid came out of a hole in the top of the transmission by a bolt. Im not sure if this 'hole' is supposed to be there, as if it were a vent of some kind or if its part of some other serious problem. (see attached pic) I am trying to get this car ready and driveable for DCS and I really want to drive her down! But as of right now I am starting to doubt my trans. I also haven't pulled the pan or the final drive drain plugs to check for metal shavings on the magnet will do that one on Monday.

Got my engine bay painted today things are starting to look good! also finished pulling out the chewed up headlight harness fixing to clean up the area for the new one that should be in early next week!

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP regarding my transmission.

David - 6410
    DeLoDave - YouTube
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast