FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sanden SD AC Compressor Service Manual

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Where do I get a dipstick from? Manual shows something like a separate tool & not integral to the pump cap (like a normal engine oil dipstick).

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I thought someone posted how to make one, but I can't find it (maybe back on .com).

There is a drawing with dimensions in the PDF (1st post).

Google "Sanden 530-865" ~$8.00

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Correct - page 13 of the pdf link in the first thread talks about the oil requirements, as well as a sketch of a dip stick. Truth be told though, during my 11 years at Sanden we never used any of these dipsticks in the labs. Just drain the old compressor and make sure you have the same amount in the new compressor before you install it. Also, our Ds use an orifice tube system: Any excess oil is going to get trapped in the accumulator (cold temp, refrig in vapor state) without hurting anything so if I were you, add an extra ounce or two in addition to what you got out of the old compressor.

We did a bunch of cost reduction testing for heavy truck customers, like Peterbilt, in the wind tunnel at Sanden for the purpose of finding the least amount of oil their A/C system would require, without jeopardizing durability. These were expansion valve (TXV) systems so the optimum oil amount was somewhat more critical than an orifice system (the "accumulator" on a TXV system (simply called "dryer") is located on the HIGH pressure side where the refrig is in a liquid state so excess oil tends to get washed out and NOT get trapped there). The excess oil would then end up in the evaporator and affect performance.

But again, those were TXV systems. For a Delorean A/C system you can add some extra oil to ensure durability without sacrificing performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2