FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: strong exhaust fume smell

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Unfortunately you may have to buy 2 or 3 of them to get one that works.
    Which seems to be the case with most things from HF.
    LOL, my sentiments exactly Dave. That's why I didn't throw my weight behind it And why I said a 3mm hex that will never see any torque was probably a safe thing to get there. I don't think I've ever bought anything at that place that hasn't failed either during or immediately after its first use.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

i have another question. i have my new cat and 02 sensor on its way from john at special t. should i install it now or wait until i get my dwell meter so i dont mess up new cat and 02 sensor?

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by coreydmc View Post
    i have another question. i have my new cat and 02 sensor on its way from john at special t. should i install it now or wait until i get my dwell meter so i dont mess up new cat and 02 sensor?
    Depends... Do you drive every day or have annother car.

I suggest doing it all at once. I installed new O2 senor and catalytic convertor at the same time. They are both reached from the same place.

I also installed new fuel injectors as one of the contributing problems I was having were my old injectors were not sealing completely at idle and continued to drip excess fuel into the cylindars. This caused a rich mixture which I could not get rid of.

After instaling the new gear, start the engine and let it warm up for about 15 minutes or so. Enough so that the fans at least cycle once. You may have to give it some throtle to warmit up.

Once you have done this, follow the instructions on setting dwell. Each time you put the plug back in, let the engine settle back down again. When you think you've got it dialed in, disconnect the meter and drive around the block a few times. The car should feel more responsive now. Then back to the garage and keep the engine running. Hook up your meter and check dwell again to make sure it's still in the zone. If not repeat... if so. Have a beer (or beverage of your choice) you're done.

Check out this thread I started before I did mine. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?26...ytic-Convertor
    Some good info there.

Also, make sure you read up this forum about replacing the O2 sensor. You'll want to use some anti seize compound but do not get it on the probe tip. Most auto parts stores sell a kit with a little packet of anti-seize and dialectic grease.

Most people have a hard time with seized nuts on the cat and the O2 sensor. I hit mine with penetrationg oil a couple of times the night before I was doing the work and they came right off. Your milage may vary.

Cheers.
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

thank you very much. ill work on this after easter. by than i will have the dwell meter, cat, and 02 sensor. I also went to check to see if frequency valve was buzzing and it wasnt. then i noticed the black wire pulled out of the 02 sensor. when i grounded the wire that pulled out of 02 the FV started to buzz. hopefully the new 02 sensor cures this problem

any thoughts on this:

I also went to check to see if frequency valve was buzzing and it wasnt. then i noticed the black wire pulled out of the 02 sensor. when i grounded the wire that pulled out of 02 the FV started to buzz. hopefully the new 02 sensor cures this problem

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

any thoughts on this:

I also went to check to see if frequency valve was buzzing and it wasnt. then i noticed the black wire pulled out of the 02 sensor. when i grounded the wire that pulled out of 02 the FV started to buzz. hopefully the new 02 sensor cures this problem
    Have you tried just reconnecting the sensor and warming the engine up? Or is the wire damaged?

Either way it sounds like a new sensor is an absolute must.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

yes i have tried fitting the wire back into the sensor itself where it pulled out from, and the fv doesnt buzz. it only buzzes when i ground the wire to the frame. im guessing the sensor is broken.

My VIN:    03572

The FV should always buzz but if it's running near the max or min duty cycle you may not hear it. You may need to adjust the mixture after you install a new O2 sensor.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

the car does not run smooth at all unless i ground the 02 sensor wire where it pulled out of sensor to the frame. when the fv is buzzing the car runs smooth, when i disconnect the wire the car lacks power. does this sound normal if the fv is not working properly?

My VIN:    03572

the car does not run smooth at all unless i ground the 02 sensor wire where it pulled out of sensor to the frame. when the fv is buzzing the car runs smooth, when i disconnect the wire the car lacks power. does this sound normal if the fv is not working properly?
    Probably miss adjusted mixture.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast