FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie here

My VIN:    3944

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Curnane View Post
    THANKS GUYS SOUNDS LIKE THIS FORUM IS GOING TO BE VERY HELPFUL HOPEFULLY ITS WONT COST ME A G NOTE FOR EVERY YEAR THE CAR SAT ALL OF THE LINE HAVE ALLREADY BEEN CHANGED SOMEONE STARTED GOING THROUGH THIS CAR AND GAVE UP THE CAR ONLY HAS 18K ON IT . W HERE CAN i BUY THE fuel accumulator AND FILTER ? BY THE WAY THIS IS CAR # 3577
    Yeah, all the vendors carry them. I'm actually having to do the same thing. I'm starting next week. Ordering a new pump, accumulator, and filter. Too bad we aren't a little closer, or we could buddy up on it!

I've found some useful links to study up on before I start in on it. :closed top: These guys did an awesome job documenting their progress:

http://www.deloreanreborn.com/
    http://www.johnspangler.com/DMC
    David, Companion of 3944: 1981, Stage II engine, manual transmission, black interior, lined hood with no gas flap.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Start by pulling the fuel pump out of the tank and inspecting the rubber parts. Look in the tank. If it smells "dead" remove the fuel and wipe it out with Acetone. To get to the fuel pump remove the curved cover in the spare tire well. If the car has been sitting for a long time it will cost you a lot more than $1K to get it going. Figure on rebuilding the cooling system, fuel system, brake system, and clutch hydraulics at a minimum. Tires alone can cost $400, a battery $70. Gee, you already blew half your budget! Even doing all of the work yourself you can easily dump $5K just to get it running.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Along the lines David T mentions relative to getting the fuel system up to snuff, take a look at this fuel system renewar thread in the Resources section. Depending on how long your D was asleep you may have one of more of the common problems with cars that have been kept out of circulation, so to speak:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?637

There's plenty of other useful stuff in the General Discussion --> Resources thread. Most D's that are awakening after a long sleep need attention to a few or all of the systems David lists. As mentioned upstream in this thread, getting the engine/fuel/cooling systems plus the brakes done- and done right - is the minimum.

Don't skimp - you'll be glad of it later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2