FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Generic rear wheel arch seal?

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Generic rear wheel arch seal?

Okay so we need to replace our rear wheel arch seals, the ones on our car now are shot. Does anyone know of a generic part/replacement before we are forced to go to DMC and pay $20 for a 24 inch piece of seal essentially (plus $11 to ship it)? The seal looks pretty basic so i didn't know if anyone had ever found a generic replacement? If so, let us know, thanks!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Holy cow, I didn't think they were charging for universal edge guard,( I bet is says "DMC factory replacment part" in the description ) I would just look online. Auto body retailers usually carry all kinds generic edging/door trim guard as well.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    02075

IIRC, that seal is pretty big/puffy...much more so than a door seal. I think you may be stuck getting the DMC part. Are you sure they're shot? Mine was falling out & pretty torn up looking but I was able to form it back into shape & it was good to go when I re-installed it.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    IIRC, that seal is pretty big/puffy...much more so than a door seal. I think you may be stuck getting the DMC part. Are you sure they're shot? Mine was falling out & pretty torn up looking but I was able to form it back into shape & it was good to go when I re-installed it.
    I thought he was talking about the edge guard that goes in the stainless lip. It's larger than door edge guard.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

http://store.delorean.com/c-307-8-3-...ter-panel.aspx

#45 or #51?

45 is the one that covers the edge of the stainless (where you would hit your hand washing the tire for example). This could be generic door-edge guard although the ribbed pattern on the DMC is pretty unique. You don't' really see much of it in place though.

#51 seals (sort of) the gap between the stainless and the fiberglass body panel. It is very much like an inner door seal. I've never compared the two, but I'd hazard a guess that an old door seal could be put into use here.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    2681

Yeah, ours is definitely shot. It's torn pretty bad and isn't even on the wheel well. It's part #51 and while it does look to be a bit larger than a door seal that trick might actually work. I'm gonna give it a try and see if it does. Thanks!

Alex