FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: *BANG* coming from the rear of the car - thoughts???

My VIN:    Formerly 10084

Club(s):   (DCF)

*BANG* coming from the rear of the car - thoughts???

Of course we have a car show coming up this weekend and after some evening work with Morpheus we fixed up my clutch master and slave, as well as the brake booster line. Took the car for a spin and was greeted with a loud BANG noise from the rear of the car. Pulled over, nothings loose, wheels are on tight, shook the car every which way we could - nothing seemed wrong. Checked engine mounts and they look good - engine was hot but tried shifting it and it didn't budge.

Noise is loud, startling even. Its random - happens at a cruising 35mph, seems to happen more when going around corners or over bumps. Doesn't happen when shifting.

Suspension was replaced within the past two years with DMCH shocks, DMC Europe front springs. Thought it might have been a blown shock but doesn't make sense from the noise and randomness when we heard it.

Our thoughts were a CV joint had gone bad, or a bad wheel bearing. Any other ideas?

Was going to jack up the rear tomorrow and spin the wheels to see if I can reproduce anything.
    -Derek

http://www.deloreanreborn.com
    http://www.deloreanclubfl.com - Florida's home for DeLorean owners and enthusiasts!

Tesla Model S 2013 P85+ | Grey Metallic | Black Performance Interior | Pano | Carbon Fiber Decor | Dual Chargers | Tech Package | Smart Air Suspension | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Rear Facing Seats --- Added: CF Spoiler | Front Camera Kit | Yacht Floor

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Are all your tools accounted for?

Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Is the bang accompanied by a jerking or lurching? If it is it might be the differential? Could also be yor TABS. Mine sometimes makes a mild thud. But its been checked and rechecked so I'm content to live with it.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Check the supports of the gearbox.
    Perhaps one is broken, though that usually is noticed by unability of using some of the gears (of a manual).
    In my car the left support broke resulting in no 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.

Don't know if yours is a manual or auto.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Was this a single bang (one occurrence) or is it repeatable? If repeatable, most concerning would be a broken TAB. I drove for a short distance at speed after mine broke (about 35MPH to stop in 100 feet or so). A broken TAB would mean 1 of your rear wheels is not firmly held in place & the rear of the car would feel "soft" - it would wobble & sway.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    Formerly 10084

No lurching or jerking. Was just under the car last night and no broken mounts. The bang happened once prior to last nights work on my last trip home with the car previously, and I had assumed it was just a pothole. Tabs have been replaced with Tobys tabs.
    -Derek

http://www.deloreanreborn.com
    http://www.deloreanclubfl.com - Florida's home for DeLorean owners and enthusiasts!

Tesla Model S 2013 P85+ | Grey Metallic | Black Performance Interior | Pano | Carbon Fiber Decor | Dual Chargers | Tech Package | Smart Air Suspension | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Rear Facing Seats --- Added: CF Spoiler | Front Camera Kit | Yacht Floor

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

It has no rhyme or reason, and most of the time it was 2 bangs in succession. While under the car last night, I noticed that the CV joints closest to the wheels were semi-moist. Also, to my knowledge, his rear wheel bearings are OEM.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Can you make it repeat and under what conditions? Is it a mechanical noise? This is really difficult to help with. Check the mounts on all of the shocks. Check the sway bar brackets and mounts. Check the lug nuts. Could it be the motor backfiring? Can it be something moving around in the truck?
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    It has no rhyme or reason, and most of the time it was 2 bangs in succession. While under the car last night, I noticed that the CV joints closest to the wheels were semi-moist. Also, to my knowledge, his rear wheel bearings are OEM.
    Is it happening when you change direction, i.e. turn left or right for the first time after the opposite direction? Rear wheel bearing shifting in the carrier is a pretty common complaint.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Are all the frame to body bolts tight?
    Still rocking the Ducellier

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast