FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How To: Install Cruise Control

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Unhooking the accelerator pedal spring is what I did on my CC setup. No issues yet, and the weight of the pedal keeps the cable properly in groove at all times.
    Thats great to know!

On an otherwise stock engine, there are 4 springs in the throttle system, all working against your foot. One on the pedal, TWO on the spool (one external, and one underneith), then finally the one on the throttles themselves. You may need to make sure everything glides really freely, but removing one spring should not affect the system.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Thats great to know!

On an otherwise stock engine, there are 4 springs in the throttle system, all working against your foot. One on the pedal, TWO on the spool (one external, and one underneith), then finally the one on the throttles themselves. You may need to make sure everything glides really freely, but removing one spring should not affect the system.
    There may be 4 springs, but only one really affects the throttle cable. That spring is on the pedal. The issue is keeping the throttle cable tight. The 3 springs push the opposite direction of the one on the pedal. The one on the pedal pushes the cable toward the spool where the 3 at the throttle push the cable toward the pedal. If you remove the one at the pedal, the ones at the throttle wont be fighting against anything, and theoretically, the cable wont fall off the spool.

Still, I'd be a little skeptical about not having a pedal return spring. Though I doubt the weight of the pedal is enough to overcome the 3 springs at the throttle.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 06-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.

My VIN:    10270

I had my cable jump twice on me while using my CC, but never again after unhooking the pedal spring. You could probably add some weight to the pedal if you wanted, just to be sure that it keeps the cable taut. You could also pull & relube the cable just to be extra sure (I did).
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

In the move, I came across the instruction manual for the AudioVox CCS100 cruise control unit. Would it be helpful to anyone if I posted them here?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    In the move, I came across the instruction manual for the AudioVox CCS100 cruise control unit. Would it be helpful to anyone if I posted them here?
    If it's a PDF it'd be nice. If it's a hardcopy dont worry about scanning it. The manual is available on line if you google it. I had to 2 weeks ago to get the dip switch settings.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    If it's a PDF it'd be nice. If it's a hardcopy dont worry about scanning it. The manual is available on line if you google it. I had to 2 weeks ago to get the dip switch settings.
    Yeah, I'd have to scan it in. Hadn't thought to look for it online. Okay, then.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3