FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Cruise Control

How To: Install Cruise Control

I searched and haven't found a how-to on dmctalk.org and I know there was one on dmctalk.com so I thought I would share my venture into adding cruise control into a (5-speed) Delorean.

I searched the internet and found the following parts that are needed to complete the installation. The website I found the best deal (no tax/out-of-state and combined shipping) is below; but feel free to do your own research:

http://www.audiovideo4me.com/

Below are the part numbers and prices for this particular setup:

250-1223 Rostra Universal Electronic Cruise/Speed Control Computer $179.99

250-3742 Rostra Left Hand Mount Cruise Control Stalk Switch $46.95

250-4165 Rostra VSS Speed Pulse Generator Magnet Kit $41.99

250-4206 Rostra Clutch Disengagement Switch $43.90

$327.03 was the grand total shipped and I received them within 2-3 business days to Ohio.

These kits no longer use engine vacuum compared to older models.

Also, you can select other styles of switches such as some examples below:

Ok, so now I have the parts, where do they go? That will be starting on the next post!
    Stay tuned!

Post Cruise Control Switch Installed!!

OK, so the switch is now installed.

I removed the lower canopy (remove the center screw towards the front and the two machine screws at the rear) and drilled a 3/8 hole in the side for the switch to slide through. It has a slanted collar that will adjust the angle which is very nice. I then carefully tightned the nut on the inside so the stalk wouldn't move, yet wouldn't crack the plastic lower housing.

Caution, be sure you have enough clearance between the ignition switch inside the canopy and the cruise control stalk and wiring before drilling the hole.

I am able to see the cruise control buttons through the steering wheel and without the turn signal lever being in the way, so keep that in mind....

For now, I ran the wiring out of the back of the lower panel and towards the center console and secured it so it wouldn't get in the way if I drove the car with it unfinished...

This is all I will do with this component for now....on to the next part, stay tuned!!

My VIN:    706

Hi
    Here is my own "how-to" : http://delorean.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28831#28831
    it's in French but I hope pictures speak by themselves, or you can google-translate.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Im eager to see the rest. I recently installed one of these Rosta kits in my girlfriend's 01 corolla which is easier that a delorean install as its rear engined and doesnt have a VSS sensor installed.

Im stlll debating on installing this 1984 vintage cruise kit in my D, not sure if I trust it.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Hi
    it's in French but I hope pictures speak by themselves, or you can google-translate.
    Gorgeous!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Post Clutch Disengagement Switch Installation

Below is how I installed the clutch disengagement switch:

The first step is to mount the contact plate. It must be at least 2" from the pivot point of the clutch pedal. The screws are installed with the heads facing the center console so that they will clear the clutch linkage(it is a very close fit). All the screws do is wedge the contact plate to the pedal and go through the nuts on the other side of the plate, so make sure they are good and tight; test to make sure the plate can't wiggle at all.
    Be sure to move the pedal in and out as you plan and fabricate to make sure the brackets and linkage clear each other.

I modified the switch mounting bracket as seen in the photo so that the switch would line up with the contact plate. I drilled two holes into the pedal box and the bracket lined up perfectly, with only bending needed on the bracket (I cut the "L" part off first) and secured it with two 8mm bolts, washers, and nuts...

Then it's just a matter of testing the pedal to switch contact by bending the bracket until the switch is fully depressed when the clutch pedal is released. It is normal if the switch bracket moves a little bit when you release the clutch pedal as long as the switch fully closes...

For now, I just positioned and tightened the switch so that the wiring points up and is tucked out of the way of the feet.

Of course, double-check everything to make sure nothing gets tangled or causes danger while attempting to drive the car...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Hi
    I found this, thank you very much! I was wondering how you mounted your clutch disengagement switch and how it functions? I can't quite figure it out from the picture.

Also, have you ever had the throttle cable pop out of the spool while using cruise control with your design?

Post Pulse Generator/ Vehicle Speed Sensor Installation

Below is how I installed the Pulse Generator/ Vehicle Speed Sensor using Raphael's idea (Thanks!!)

I cut down and modified the bracket that came with the sensor so that it would bolt to the transmission using the existing bolt that holds the seal retainer behind the output shaft connection of the transmission.
    Then, line up 2 magnets 180 degrees apart. There are 6 bolts holding the driveshaft in place so you can put one magnet between two of them and the other inbetween the opposite two bolts. They will stick the the area that they belong to. Then use the plastic ziptie that comes with the kit to hold them in place. Make sure it is tight so the magnets don't move (test it out).

Then bend and twist the bracket until the head of the bolt that secures the sensor to the bracket is 1" (give or take 1/4" says the instructions) from each magnet.

Finally, route your wiring so that there is no way they will get tangled, melt, or get damaged in any way; especially with the car on the ground. I secured mine to an A/C hose and had the wiring go up into the driver corner of the engine bay.
    For now, I tied up the rest of the wiring so I could still drive the car and until I have more time to finish the cruise control installation.

My VIN:    706

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    I found this, thank you very much! I was wondering how you mounted your clutch disengagement switch and how it functions? I can't quite figure it out from the picture.

Also, have you ever had the throttle cable pop out of the spool while using cruise control with your design?
    I used the existing stop-bolt on the clutch pedal pivot, with a short bracket. see pic below; just right of the pedal itself. it works fine, just touch the pedal and it disengages without shifting or braking.
    the switch is wired serial with the brake switch, as recommended in the instructions, very simple. I remember you have to tweak the little switches on the ECU to make it work properly.
    For the throttle spool, it happens if the cable is twisted (it gets a memory if it was installed with an effort); to fix it, loosen the retaining bolt, move the spool so the cable moves out, twist the cable so it runs parallel to the groove, then tighten the bolt.
    It happened to me at first, but it never happened since, just carefully install the cable on the retaining bolt.

I installed this setup years ago and it functions perfectly and never failed. it's as smooth and intuitive as any modern car.
    and I love the idea of having everything concealed. except for the cable on the spool and the stock looking +/- button on the console, you can't see anything
    Last edited by Raphael; 04-18-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Post Cruised Control Cable on Spool Install

Below is a pic of the cruise control cable to spool install on 03307. Dave Bauerle helped me out.

It basically follows Raphael's design from his weblink. I used the bracket that came with the kit and cut and bent it to hold the cable housing stationary and parallel to the spool. I also used the threaded flag retainer that came in the kit (screw it on the end of the cable housing) and attached it to the bracket. The steel cable with a loop in it and a bead chain connection was used. Remove the retaining bolt that holds the stock throttle cable in place and slide the loop underneath and through the bolt, then tighten it all back down. For good measure a small hole was drilled on the side tab of the spool and a cotter pin installed to keep the cruise control cable from popping out.
    However, thanks to Toby Peterson's observation, you can't put a cotter pin on the throttle cable side of the spool. Due to geometry, as the spool turns clockwise and the cable tightens, the cotterpin gets in the way of the cable and prevents it from pulling the throttle all the way open. So I removed the cotterpin(although still shown in the below picture) and it works fine.
    There are different amounts of bead chain lenght that you can use to make it work (Raphael's is shorter than mine) so you will have to experiment to get the right setting.

***There is always the risk that the cable could possibly pop out. I will do a follow-up post on here after some extensive research to report my findings and experience****.
    If you follow these guidelines remember you are responsible and assume the risk.

Double-check to make sure that everything works smoothly and that nothing is in the way of the throttle spool(ex bleeder kit) operation.
    That is basically it for this part.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast