FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would like to buy a project car.

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I probably should sum up the whole project car thing before it gets started. In short, unless you get lucky, just about any Delorean you buy for 10k will cost more to restore (cosmetically and mechanically), than what you could buy a good car for. I assume you know this and are just wanting the journey...which is fine, but it can be an expensive journey.
    +1. I got my second one for about $11k, and probably put close that much into it (with still a little more to do before it's in tip-top shape). I wasn't able to do the big jobs myself, so you may be able to shave a bit off of your restoration costs – but don't count on saving too much.

Was it worth it? Sure... I wanted a fixer so I could learn a bit more about the car, and I drive it nearly daily now. But if I had to do it again, I would have just ponied up a few extra grand and bought a better example.

My VIN:    0796, 6736

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    That's so awesome!!!!

I really need to see pictures. I was intrigued by that car because it had no clock, but grey rims and a gas flap IIRC. Also a metric speedo right?

Any chance you could post some pics? Maybe in a restoration thread? Or if you already have and i missed them let me know where I could find them!
    Yea, this car is really weird!! I couldn't find any info anywhere so far on the net about past history or where it was originally sold. It seems it was originally brought to Canada and sold there and was moved to Washington. It makes sense because of the metric spedo and having no catalytic converters. I have come to the conclusion that this car was inherited from an someone who really took GREAT care of the car but when the heir couldn't smog it due to it not having catalytic converters it sat since 1997. The tires would have been brand new if they haven't sat for that long, the break pads look brand new, when i drained the oil it came out clean with minimal sediment. The front end recall has already been done.

The guy i bought it from didn't seem to know one thing about DeLoreans. All of the vacuum hoses were rerouted in odd positions not sure why or how it made sense for someone to have done that. There's only 49,000 miles on it. And it seems to run smooth so far.

I'll create a thread for the restoration of 0796 soon, i just have to get all of my pictures together.

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Just as a weird coincidence, there are currently quiet a few project deloreans available right now on e-bay for anyone interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...item3368adf84c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/delor...item20ba4a2806

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Proje...item43a7b31607

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ah yes, the elusive 4-speed, 8-cylinder model.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by uhhair View Post
    Just as a weird coincidence, there are currently quiet a few project deloreans available right now on e-bay for anyone interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...item3368adf84c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/delor...item20ba4a2806

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Proje...item43a7b31607
    The first seller sounds like an idiot. The second one probably forgot the keys in the glove box, and the third doesn't sound too bad. I'm sure Grady could straighten out the body damage.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Ah yes, the elusive 4-speed, 8-cylinder model.
    Yes, the rarest of them all. Truly, a find for the ages!

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

3rd one

as the owner/seller of the third one if you have any more questions about the car you can ask me on here also. about grady straightening up the panels, there is a process that dmc mid-west has been doing that gets most all of the dents out of the car, but it is not 100% maybe dave can jump in (not trying to hijack thread). there are around 30-40 dents on the car most on roof and t-panel. 3 on left front. I just have to sell the car now cause the shop it is at needs it out for parking of other cars and i dont have the time to work on it anymore.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikercmbc View Post
    as the owner/seller of the third one if you have any more questions about the car you can ask me on here also. about grady straightening up the panels, there is a process that dmc mid-west has been doing that gets most all of the dents out of the car, but it is not 100% maybe dave can jump in (not trying to hijack thread). there are around 30-40 dents on the car most on roof and t-panel. 3 on left front. I just have to sell the car now cause the shop it is at needs it out for parking of other cars and i dont have the time to work on it anymore.
    Boy am I glad I didn't insult you then. I mentioned Grady because I have firsthand experience with his bodywork. I don't know what technique he uses but both my fenders came out nearly flawless and at an exceptional price too. I assume whatever technique he uses is probably similar to what the franchises do.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Quote Originally Posted by Bikercmbc View Post
    I thought I recognized that e-bay listing. I read your post about the car in another thread. The car looks to be in decent shape otherwise (to me at least)

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

yeah, it was in decent shape, definately needs work though. i was planning to take two years and around 300 a month or so to fix it up and get it to par with my other one, but this did not happen as planned....so i plan to use the money i get from selling it to purchase big price items for my other one. seat covers, window regulators, seals, possibly stage one exhaust...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast