FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would like to buy a project car.

My VIN:    17019

Would like to buy a project car.

Hey guys. I had sent an email to the Delorean Owners Association and Josh Haldeman was kind enough to point me in this direction. Anyway this is a copy of the email:

Hi Guys I was wondering if you ever ran across any DeLorean "project" cars. I am moving to the west coast in about a year and my dad was wondering if I would want to get a "project" car for us to work on over the next year before I move. The car would be mine after it was fixed up. Seeing that I know nothing about cars this would be a good learning experience for me. We don't have a ton of money but he told me to pick a car and well I've always wanted a DeLorean. I was hoping to be able to find one with a decent body and interior. The whole point would to have to rebuild everything else so if the engine is shot and transmission is falling apart thats fine. Anyway thanks in advance.

I see one listed in this forum but its body seems to be almost non-existent. So if anyone has one with a body but can't run I would be very interested.

Thanks!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Be sure to check the for sale section, one pops up from time to time. Also check by dmchelp.com.

I believe there is a project for sale on craigslist and a thread about it here that was just ppsted a few days ago.

Edit, here is the link:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?31...t-Car-for-sale.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-12-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

We need the "what to look for in a "cheap project car"" thread back again
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Not in charge....luckily for you Renee_1632's Avatar

My VIN:    01632

I was hoping to be able to find one with a decent body and interior.
    I wouldn't get your hopes up on that...body, possibly, but it's really unlikely you'll find a project car with a great interior. Possible, but if you really want a project D, you may have to be flexible on the state of the interior.
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

My VIN:    04915

Quote Originally Posted by penciltester View Post
    We don't have a ton of money but he told me to pick a car and well I've always wanted a DeLorean.

Thanks!
    Hi penciltester,
    forgive me if I sound like Dear Abby but I suggest you think about this: Your Dad has offered to fund this project and that's great! I suggest you and your Dad find the best car that he can afford to get for you. You could probably find a running, driveable Delorean ... a fair car at best for maybe $8 ... 9 ...10,000. This hypothetical car will need a lot of work, the usual things like fuel system, brakes, some really strange mods made by a PO (previous owner) will need to be addressed, etc. and so on. This would be PLENTY of work to last you and your Dad a year before you move. If you and your Dad go the $5000 route ... well, y'all are apparently pretty close. You wouldn't want to jeopardize that by being co-owner of an engineless Delorean with a rusted frame.
    Last edited by Jacko; 06-12-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    17019

Thanks for the replies. I can be flexible with the interior. The project would also end up including my grandfather. He used to be a mechanic and owned his own garage. He seems to have every tool known to man. Hey buys old motorcycles and rebuilds them during the winter and sells them in the spring. Anyway got off track there. So we are looking at around 10,000 for a delorean that still needs a bunch of work? Unfortunately this may be out of price range.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I probably should sum up the whole project car thing before it gets started. In short, unless you get lucky, just about any Delorean you buy for 10k will cost more to restore (cosmetically and mechanically), than what you could buy a good car for. I assume you know this and are just wanting the journey...which is fine, but it can be an expensive journey.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-13-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Where are you moving to on the west coast?

There was a car for sale in Washington, around 8k about a year ago. My guess is its still for sale. The owner is a bit of douche, I'll PM you the email address if you're interested.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    0796, 6736

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Where are you moving to on the west coast?

There was a car for sale in Washington, around 8k about a year ago. My guess is its still for sale. The owner is a bit of douche, I'll PM you the email address if you're interested.
    I bought that one. I talked him dow from 8k and thank god i did!!
    I just got it up and running a few days ago. I was on a budget, didn't know much about cars. luckily all i had to do to get it running was to replace the fuel pump/filter, replace and reconfigure all of the vacuum lines, and adjust the timing.
    I replaced the spark plugs and wires, changed oil, flushed the cooling system, and took out all of the fuel injectors and cleaned them out. I am currently rebuilding the break system.

I am far from being done. just because it's drivable doesn't mean i can stop the restoration process. I was REALLY lucky that the interior just had to be cleaned and was in great condition. The only thing i had to replace was the shifter boot and the ceiling cloth. I took a HUGE gamble buying it sight-unseen having it shipped to my home.

I really couldn't have done anything without the help of the people of this forum and google. It should give you hope. It's possible to find a Cheap fixer upper. Just do your homework. Google is your best friend. Look around and don't jump on the first cheap ratty looking DeLorean you see.

Restoring these cars are a lot of fun, and you get a great satisfaction knowing you are resurrecting a piece of unique automotive history. My DeLorean would have either sat for another decade or become a parts car. 0796 will now live to see another day because of me.

Go for it! Goodluck on your search and have fun.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    I bought that one. I talked him dow from 8k and thank god i did!!
    I just got it up and running a few days ago. I was on a budget, didn't know much about cars. luckily all i had to do to get it running was to replace the fuel pump/filter, replace and reconfigure all of the vacuum lines, and adjust the timing.
    I replaced the spark plugs and wires, changed oil, flushed the cooling system, and took out all of the fuel injectors and cleaned them out. I am currently rebuilding the break system.

I am far from being done. just because it's drivable doesn't mean i can stop the restoration process. I was REALLY lucky that the interior just had to be cleaned and was in great condition. The only thing i had to replace was the shifter boot and the ceiling cloth. I took a HUGE gamble buying it sight-unseen having it shipped to my home.

I really couldn't have done anything without the help of the people of this forum and google. It should give you hope. It's possible to find a Cheap fixer upper. Just do your homework. Google is your best friend. Look around and don't jump on the first cheap ratty looking DeLorean you see.

Restoring these cars are a lot of fun, and you get a great satisfaction knowing you are resurrecting a piece of unique automotive history. My DeLorean would have either sat for another decade or become a parts car. 0796 will now live to see another day because of me.

Go for it! Goodluck on your search and have fun.
    That's so awesome!!!!

I really need to see pictures. I was intrigued by that car because it had no clock, but grey rims and a gas flap IIRC. Also a metric speedo right?

Any chance you could post some pics? Maybe in a restoration thread? Or if you already have and i missed them let me know where I could find them!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast