FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Flooring? Anyone have epoxy / cement alternatives?

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

Garage Flooring? Anyone have epoxy / cement alternatives?

I'm researching different companies that do epoxy / decorative flooring for garages. I was wondering if anyone has had this done and if they can weigh in on which companies were good and what kind of materials you went with, etc?

Does it help with stopping extra moisture that comes up through cement slabs? I want to make sure the DeLorean stays dry and doesn't have unnecessary moisture build up underneath it.

I'm doing this in a new garage in the suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks,
    T.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

Banned

Moisture is stopped with a vapor barrier under the slab (code requierrd where i live). Epoxy flooring/stained concrete/paint/etc is for decorative purpose or to make it easier to clean. Trying to use it to stop moisture may work at first, but will be continual maintenance as it loses adhesion.

I too am thinking about epoxy coating the garage floor. I would like to find a wild color like florescence green maybe with flakes to add sparkle with no luck.

It looks like the tiles would be over 700 dollars and epoxy around 200 - 300 dollars.

ED

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

http://www.por15.com/BASIC-KIT/productinfo/FABK1BE/

Did this a year ago. Awesome stuff. I rented a concrete grinder from Sunbelt (at Lowes) and spent half a day taking the top layer off my greasy, paint covered floor. If your's is new, you won't need to do that. In my case, I didn't want to take any chances of it not adhering well. I went with a rough rather than totally smooth surface since I wasn't looking for a showroom or when wet, an ice skating rink. Applied with a roller but I think you could spray it. Respirator mask absolutely necessary. Nice thing about this stuff is it gets tougher with moisture. I didn't walk on it for a day, didn't park the car on it for a week. Even with "Houston hot" tires I've had no peeling of any sort. I do have a couple of light tire imprints, but that's on top of the paint; that's the tire losing pigment or something. I didn't bother with sprinkles, but could have very easily. This stuff is much tougher than the Home Depot two part epoxy kits. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Very nice to just hose out the garage when dirty and not having to worry about any fluids I may spill on it.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

Yeah, this is what I've read. I did have a vapor barrier under the slab, but still feel like there is moisture coming from the cement a little. Could also be the lack of ventilation as I have the garage where the DeLorean sits pretty air tight (to avoid field mice from getting in), so I'm addressing that air movement as well. Perhaps because the concrete is only a few months old still, it has some moisture left in it that is evaporating.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    Moisture is stopped with a vapor barrier under the slab (code requierrd where i live). Epoxy flooring/stained concrete/paint/etc is for decorative purpose or to make it easier to clean. Trying to use it to stop moisture may work at first, but will be continual maintenance as it loses adhesion.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post
    Yeah, this is what I've read. I did have a vapor barrier under the slab, but still feel like there is moisture coming from the cement a little. Could also be the lack of ventilation as I have the garage where the DeLorean sits pretty air tight (to avoid field mice from getting in), so I'm addressing that air movement as well. Perhaps because the concrete is only a few months old still, it has some moisture left in it that is evaporating.

T.
    That's exactly it. It's technically still curing, and a lack of airflow slows the process down more. Even a fan in there at floor level for a while will help out. Or leaving the door open as much as possible once the weather turns nice.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

iirc DMCHJames started a thread like this on the old .com. I think DMCMW Dave has had some success with a product.

Epoxymaster, I think he used.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Check out the Garage Store

Hey Tamir,

Check out the Garage Store.

http://www.garage-store.com/

They have some of the best products and they can apply them for you as well.

Later,
    Rich W.

BTW: They have in-store sample areas that you can check out, in person.
    Last edited by Rich W; 04-17-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added the BTW

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Polyamide 2-part Industrial Epoxy. Benjamin Moore is good. Available in any color at local high-end paint stores.

Prep is key - the concrete should be 6-8 months old, acid etched etc. Real and follow lable directions.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3028

http://www.ucoatit.com/2011web/main.htm

This is the stuff a lot of professionals use.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast