FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Garage Flooring? Anyone have epoxy / cement alternatives?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Jon,

I've got 2 types of degreasers for concrete. One came with the rustoluem product and one is a stand alone that the guy at home depot recommended.

the way I see it, I bought this stuff a year ago so if it all tanks, so be it. the money is spent and I'll do as good a job as I can!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Jon,

I've got 2 types of degreasers for concrete. One came with the rustoluem product and one is a stand alone that the guy at home depot recommended.

the way I see it, I bought this stuff a year ago so if it all tanks, so be it. the money is spent and I'll do as good a job as I can!
    Sounds like a reasonable enough plan. I am trying to plan out a massive garage overhaul and this is very high on the list. Our house is new and the garage is completely unfinished. I have wobbly plastic shelves for fluids and parts, no work area, bare concrete, untreated drywall, not enough light, etc. I figure I need to get the floors done first, before I start putting in cabinets and such.

Be curious to hear how you make out with the Rustoleum job. I've seen that kit in the store before and it sounds so easy (time consuming, but easy) that I was suspicious
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Sounds like a reasonable enough plan. I am trying to plan out a massive garage overhaul and this is very high on the list. Our house is new and the garage is completely unfinished. I have wobbly plastic shelves for fluids and parts, no work area, bare concrete, untreated drywall, not enough light, etc. I figure I need to get the floors done first, before I start putting in cabinets and such.

Be curious to hear how you make out with the Rustoleum job. I've seen that kit in the store before and it sounds so easy (time consuming, but easy) that I was suspicious
    Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews, but when i start looking at another brand, they too seem to have mixed reviews which leads me to believe the end result is only going to reflect the prep work much like anything else.

I think the people that complained are the people that didn't spend enough time degreasing and etching.

Im really leaning towards putting a clear coat or "glaze" on it too. they go a long way to maintain the look and durability of the epoxy.

I'll take some before and after shots. I'm getting excited now and all I want to do it go home and start already.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    6585

Two quick questions:

How well does any of this stuff stand up to rolling jacks around on it, using jack stands, and generally just scraping stuff across it?

Also I've seen custom floor logos. How do you go about getting these and installing them? Is it just vinyl with a coating over it?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Two quick questions:

How well does any of this stuff stand up to rolling jacks around on it, using jack stands, and generally just scraping stuff across it?

Also I've seen custom floor logos. How do you go about getting these and installing them? Is it just vinyl with a coating over it?
    Great questions. I've thought a lot about it too since I'm always using jacks, axle stands, dripping caustic fluids etc etc.

By the sounds of it, brake fluid will eat almost any epoxy (don't we all know that?!) so I'll likely still place mats, flattened cardboard and rug under cars I work on just to be safe. I already do since I want to keep the concrete as clean as possible prior to epoxy.

I've heard the clear coat adds a lot of strength, as does additional coats of each product. I'm planning on 2 coats of epoxy and 2 coats of the glaze/clear.

As for logos - I think they are laid over the dried epoxy prior to clear coats, but thats just a guess.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

I ended up going with Floorguard. They did a great job, and I've had good success with the floor handling grease and drops. I went with a sandstone look. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346437129.118026.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346437183.928112.jpg
    They even went up the sides of the edges.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

A year and a half later and I'm still in awe of how good my floor looks. The only scratch in it is where my crippled (lower ball joint snap) car had to be somewhat "dragged" into place for me to get it on the lift. I gouged a little concrete, not just paint! I rate it a huge success, worth every penny and ounce of work. If you haven't yet oiled up the garage floor you won't need to grind. A good wash and etch will do the trick.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Check out this company: epoxy-coat (search for it on web)
    Last edited by Tamir A.; 07-14-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: removed link per company request - use google to search for it

My VIN:    03572

I wonder if the PERGO laminate flooring would stand up to a garage floor. I just bought some PERGO online for a pretty good price of less than $2 sq/ft with free shipping.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I would doubt it Dave. Eventually water would get in between the laminate layers and destroy it.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast