FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DeLorean Cracked Windshield

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Thank you for posting this, i was just about to glue an after market mirror to the glass
    You're welcome, Some guy. Please remember in your case I hope the aftermarket mirror is not too heavy for the double sided sticky pad.
    If the contact surface area on your mirror is large then that's going to help to hold on to the windshield for a long time.
    Also, on a warm day like 70 F clean the contact surfaces with alcohol and wipe until dry and stick the mirror in place firmly.
    Congratulations on "Living The Dream". Welcome to my eleven year nightmare. LOL! j/k

Quote Originally Posted by jfirios View Post
    i was wondering how to take that little rear view mirror off when I was doing the front window tint. I just ended up cutting the tint around the rearview. You can use a heat gun to loosen it up?
    To loosen the adhesive on a decal (or double sticky pad) I would recommend a Heat Gun and a stiff plastic scraper but that is only if it's on some kind of metal. I have no idea about using a Heat Gun on a perfectly good wind shield. Maybe some one else can offer some advice.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

My VIN:    10207

Lightbulb Sort of related...

How would one remove the black square from the windshield that is under the double sided adhesive, that is, the one that sticks directly to the windshield? My car doesn't have a rearview mirror attached to the windshield, but the small black square (of paint?) still remains, and is pretty scratched. I'd much prefer to have the windshield without the rearview mirror, so I'd rather just remove all trace of it. Does anyone know how to do that?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To remove the paint you would use some Bronze Wool and some Windex. You really should have a rear view mirror though. The side mirrors don't do a whole lot. if you put the mirror back the adhesive pad will hide the scratches or you can spray some paint on it. You really don't even need the paint, it was so they knew where the mirror was supposed to be located.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10207

Sort of related...

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    To remove the paint you would use some Bronze Wool and some Windex. You really should have a rear view mirror though. The side mirrors don't do a whole lot. if you put the mirror back the adhesive pad will hide the scratches or you can spray some paint on it. You really don't even need the paint, it was so they knew where the mirror was supposed to be located.
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info and the constructive criticism. I'm pretty used to driving w/o a rearview mirror from my time in the military, where I drove APC and trucks with no rearview at all, but I guess you are right, in some sense. It's propably better to have a rearview mirror and not need it, than need it and not have it. Since you know that it is paint, do you also know what type it is? I have scratches that needs repair before the windshield can go back on.

I'm still wondering what goes on under the paint, though. The glass feels ruffled/pitted in the areas where the paint is missing. Perhaps I could remove all of the paint with the bronze wool that you suggested and put a new rearview mirror on w/o a black patch of paint on the windshield. If the glass is smooth under there, that is. You don't know anything about the condition of the glass prior to painting, I assume?

Thanks again!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Should be smooth under the paint. Flat black spray paint. On trucks you have to learn how to drive using the side mirrors only but they are usually very large and you don't back up much. I say as long as you can use it you should have it, not that it does a lot on a Delorean but it is something. Many drivers also will stick a round convex mirror on the side mirrors to try to improve visibility. I don't like it so much on the driver's mirror, I like it on the passenger mirror more. Personal preference. Some owners have installed back-up cameras too.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2