FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Flap Project D That Runs

Gas Flap Project D That Runs

Hey guys! I've been looking at DeLoreans, and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I've searched high and low and only found one candidate, but it's in North Carolina, and I'd like to find something a bit closer (Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, by the way, specifics in the sidebar on the left). What I'm looking for doesn't seem terribly unreasonable all things considered.

Here's the requirements:
    - Gas flap hood (which only came with black interiors IIRC)
    - Must be able to go on a test drive.
    - Somewhere in the $11K to $19K range outlined here (also the price range I'm looking for).
    - Auto/Stick doesn't matter, and I don't have a preference either way.
    - Optional: needs cosmetic work done (taillights, seats, windows, etc.)

The rest of this post is just further explaining the above, not adding more requirements or anything. Feel free to skip it if so desired.

It MUST be in running condition, but not necessarily good running condition. Preferably I would be able to drive it home, but I can make do if it only makes it to a nearby parking lot and I call a tow truck. I'd only feel comfortable if I can experience how the D handles so I can get a good idea of what kind of work it needs done, if any.

I think the reason I'm finding so few D's out there that meet the above qualifications is that pretty much every D I've seen is either one in terrible condition or one in daily driver showcar condition. The thing is, I'd actually prefer one that needs work done. Sort of a running project D, if you will (hence the title). If anyone's seen the Wheeler Dealers episode with the DeLorean in it, that's what I'm looking for: faded taillights, broken windows, worn out seats, things of that nature that don't affect drivability but will still let me get more familiar with it by fixing. That being said, I certainly don't mind one that doesn't need any of this kind of work.

I originally limited myself to the Northeast Ohio area, but quite frankly, this is just a preference now all things considered. I'd be willing to travel, but if it's more than a weekend drive, I'll be doing quite a bit of correspondence first. I'd prefer not to have to fly down only to find out it's not what I'm looking for (although I'd really prefer not to have to fly down at all, but I will if they're as sparse as the ads make them seem). Just to clarify, yes, I do have the funds secured for the price range above, and I can pay by cash or check. I've read some sellers wait in line at the bank with the buyer, and doing that is fine by me.

So does anyone have any D's like this or know someone who does? Or perhaps you've seen one I missed? I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

My VIN:    3944

I know of a few Deloreans in that price range. I was in the market for one for a while, and I recently bought mine about a month ago. I will PM you with what I have. One of them has a gas flap hood.

EDIT: Always be careful!
    Last edited by David_NYS; 04-18-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    David, Companion of 3944: 1981, Stage II engine, manual transmission, black interior, lined hood with no gas flap.

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Wow, you've summed up exactly(minus the hood preference) the type of car I have been looking for for about 2 years. Everytime I find one, I discover something majorly wrong with it though. The last one I was going to purchase had frame damage that was covered up. Looks like you may have a lead though. I believe they are out there and I agree with you that having a running project car is probably one of the best ways to learn about the car because you can enjoy it and learn about it as you go. Good luck!

My VIN:    891, 1045

Have you considered a car without a gas flap hood and then adding one later? That might open up a few options for you.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I would suggest driving a good daily driver first, so that you know what to expect when driving the project car.

Even a good one doesn't always drive like a modern car, which is of course part of the charm.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by David_NYS View Post
    I will PM you with what I have. One of them has a gas flap hood.

EDIT: Always be careful!
    Thanks for the advice and for the possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Have you considered a car without a gas flap hood and then adding one later? That might open up a few options for you.
    For now I'll look for ones with a gas flap, but if I have trouble finding anything after a certain amount of time, I'll probably consider that route. Something about those very early D's appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I would suggest driving a good daily driver first, so that you know what to expect when driving the project car.

Even a good one doesn't always drive like a modern car, which is of course part of the charm.
    These I will be considering. By "project", I mean D's with cosmetic problems, not necessarily mechanical ones, so it being mechanically sound enough to be a daily driver doesn't rule it out by any means.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

My point is that in your original post you stated that you want to drive your prospective car to check its handling and get an idea of work to be done.

As not many people have driven a rear engined car without power steering, it will handle differently to your usual car. How will you know if it handles normally ( for a D) without something to compare it to?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Delorean Performance Industries happens to be located just 10 miles away from you. Give us a call at 330 573 4129 or email at [email protected]

We have a variety of cars on consignment and plenty of leads on other possibilities in the area for sale by owner who have contacted us.

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    Hey guys! I've been looking at DeLoreans, and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I've searched high and low and only found one candidate, but it's in North Carolina, and I'd like to find something a bit closer (Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, by the way, specifics in the sidebar on the left). What I'm looking for doesn't seem terribly unreasonable all things considered.

Here's the requirements:
    - Gas flap hood (which only came with black interiors IIRC)
    - Must be able to go on a test drive.
    - Somewhere in the $11K to $19K range outlined here (also the price range I'm looking for).
    - Auto/Stick doesn't matter, and I don't have a preference either way.
    - Optional: needs cosmetic work done (taillights, seats, windows, etc.)

The rest of this post is just further explaining the above, not adding more requirements or anything. Feel free to skip it if so desired.

It MUST be in running condition, but not necessarily good running condition. Preferably I would be able to drive it home, but I can make do if it only makes it to a nearby parking lot and I call a tow truck. I'd only feel comfortable if I can experience how the D handles so I can get a good idea of what kind of work it needs done, if any.

I think the reason I'm finding so few D's out there that meet the above qualifications is that pretty much every D I've seen is either one in terrible condition or one in daily driver showcar condition. The thing is, I'd actually prefer one that needs work done. Sort of a running project D, if you will (hence the title). If anyone's seen the Wheeler Dealers episode with the DeLorean in it, that's what I'm looking for: faded taillights, broken windows, worn out seats, things of that nature that don't affect drivability but will still let me get more familiar with it by fixing. That being said, I certainly don't mind one that doesn't need any of this kind of work.

I originally limited myself to the Northeast Ohio area, but quite frankly, this is just a preference now all things considered. I'd be willing to travel, but if it's more than a weekend drive, I'll be doing quite a bit of correspondence first. I'd prefer not to have to fly down only to find out it's not what I'm looking for (although I'd really prefer not to have to fly down at all, but I will if they're as sparse as the ads make them seem). Just to clarify, yes, I do have the funds secured for the price range above, and I can pay by cash or check. I've read some sellers wait in line at the bank with the buyer, and doing that is fine by me.

So does anyone have any D's like this or know someone who does? Or perhaps you've seen one I missed? I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    My point is that in your original post you stated that you want to drive your prospective car to check its handling and get an idea of work to be done.

As not many people have driven a rear engined car without power steering, it will handle differently to your usual car. How will you know if it handles normally ( for a D) without something to compare it to?
    OH! I see what you're saying now, I misunderstood you before. My apologies. I guess I meant more along the lines of a worn out clutch (if stick), engine misfiring, loud exhaust, squeaky suspension, worn out brakes, things like that that can indicate problems. Not necessarily things like cornering and weight distribution. I probably would've taken those into account as well though if you hadn't said something, so thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Delorean Performance Industries happens to be located just 10 miles away from you. Give us a call at 330 573 4129 or email at [email protected]

We have a variety of cars on consignment and plenty of leads on other possibilities in the area for sale by owner who have contacted us.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize how close you guys were. I'll send you guys an email. Thanks for the help!

I just want to let everyone know, I found the DeLorean I'm looking for! VIN 559 (thread here) has less than 5K miles, runs great, but still has some cosmetic issues that I can work on. Plus it has a gas flap, is within price range, and is very original! Everything I'm looking for, all at once! I emailed the seller about an hour after he made the thread, and after a lot of back and forth, decided to buy it.

So thus ends my search for a DeLorean. Now to start a new chapter of ownership!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast