FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Well, So much for that.

My VIN:    VIN 5120

Club(s):   (PNDC)

glad you're ok...and glad it was not any worse. I would run a claim through insurance and risk the surcharge if I were you. Just my 2 cents...

My VIN:    3639 (Sept 81-April 12, RIP), 1805

Club(s):   (DMA)

I have filed a claim, adjuster will hopefully be out later today, then after he's done his work, I will be hauling it out to Josh @ DPI later this week, either wednesday or thursday (only days I have off). Better stock up on duck tape for the front facia to keep it from flapping or tearing off on the trip there. I know we discussed having you get it yesterday Josh, and, as I said, I need to get out of town and state for a day. So we will see how things go this week. I just hope to have the car back by DCS.

My VIN:    1150

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you are willing to share the info with us, I'm sure lots of us would like to know your insurance company & their policy coverages, and to hear how helpful (or not) they are to you throughout the claim & repair process.

No problem, I can provide you with that info. I have Erie Insurance, with $1 Million/$1 Million Coverage, full comp. The DeLorean is more than covered. The worst hit I will be taking will be my $1000 deductible. I see no reason for them to total the car, it did drive it home after all, and that was 15 miles from where I hit the deer, and that was on the interstate. The adjuster will be here tomorrow, so we will see how things go from there, and I know worse comes to worse, my boss is a lawyer, so if things get sticky, I'm covered.

Spoke with my adjuster yesterday, and it went well. My insurance agrees with my decision to take the car to Josh. He told me they have no reference and that taking to an expert on the car is the best option. He seemed more thrilled just to see a DeLorean in person than anything. So, now I will be loading the car up on a trailer and on my way to Josh's in about an hour.

UPDATE. I got the car hauled safely out to DPI this week. I am awaiting a call back from either Josh or the Adjuster for my insurance company right now as to what is happening with the car. It may be totaled. If thats the case, I will be getting another DeLorean, and buying my old one back for parts. Hopefully I can find a 5-Speed, Black Interior, preferably an 81.

My VIN:    2681

Quote Originally Posted by ydjk58 View Post
    UPDATE. I got the car hauled safely out to DPI this week. I am awaiting a call back from either Josh or the Adjuster for my insurance company right now as to what is happening with the car. It may be totaled. If thats the case, I will be getting another DeLorean, and buying my old one back for parts. Hopefully I can find a 5-Speed, Black Interior, preferably an 81.
    I really fail to see how an adjuster can total a car that had (From what you've told us) no frame damage and no damaged stainless?

Assuming your car is in average condition, with a value of around $15k, that wouldn't be even close to covering it. Did we miss something and the frame is messed up?

Yes, there were things that I failed to update. The doors got tweaked pretty bad, and the LFF did get damaged, I didn't notice it until I dropped the car off, plus it appears that the whole car got twisted for a lack of better terms. Josh did the estimate on it, with the bill coming to about $26,000, which is what my insurance was valuing the car at. I do suppose though in the end, I do end up winning, as the car will become the donor to rebuild one into the DeLorean of my dreams.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Core components that were damaged beyond repair in the accident:
    fasica and everything supporting and or behind it
    condenser (bent in)
    spoiler (torn)
    rock screen
    grille
    radiator shroud
    washer bottle
    bottle housing
    fiberglass damage to the tub (we quoted grafting a section in)
    wiper transmission (hood pushed into the transmission with more fiberglass damage)
    left front fender ( bowed outwards and creased up the fender well)
    hood is now a rainbow sticking out over an inch and half at the middle of the fenders with the fiberglass separated from the stainless (grooved hood)
    Doors- both buckled and destroyed the front latches, tore the glass free on the passenger side and will not close. The bond between the outerdoor skin and door failed and they now move freely of each other.
    Both rear fiberglass inlays destroyed from the doors shifting backwards
    T panel damaged from doors pushing back

It adds up quickly when you are dealing with rare fenders, hoods and door replacement/alignment.

Edit- The worst part is that we spent a lot of time and energy on putting this car back together recently. Nothing hurts more then seeing hard work destroyed by a deer. In the end though the most important thing is that Jim is alright.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 04-27-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Damn, this is terrible to see. Sorry for the loss!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast