FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Side stripe options...which vendor has the best?

Club(s):   (DMA)

stripes purchase

Quote Originally Posted by videobob View Post
    Here is a video I made comparing the one's I make and the originals side by side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh374yjRBWc&feature=fvst

I was the first to reproduce these, the material I use is thick and textured like the originals, I have cars that have had them in place for 9 years now
    since my first set and they are still looking great.

Mine are in stock and ready to ship today.
    http://dfwdmc.com/store_parts.html
    Hi, I tried to order a set of these stripes on your website yesterday 11/17/13, but the payment was refunded, Are you no longer selling these? Let me know, I'd like get hold of a set. I have an idea for duplicating the dmc logo as a separate piece, inkjet printed on metallic silver vinyl, then drop it into the cutouts.
    Regards,
    Mike Duran

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

I bought a set of OEM narrow grey stripes from P J Grady US early this year. Not sure if they have any left, I think they were down to a handful.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You can find the side stripe files here in the Resources section. Many graphics shops can hook you up- -- The hard part is sourcing the textured material.

FWIW, a lot of people have had trouble with the adhesive when using the OEM ones lately (dried up).

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Are you in any rush? Here's why I ask; I posted a "wanted" thread asking for OEM (not repro) wide black stripes back on .com and again when .org was created. After a few years, low and behold someone had some to sell. If you're not into making them yourself, I'm sure someone has OEM or Repro versions they'd sell, then just have to stumble upon the thread.

In the meantime, doesn't Hervey sell repro stripes?

EDIT - here
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

I've looked around as I am interested in one as well and it appears Special T is the only one still selling one. I contacted videobob via his website and he is no longer making them.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You can find the side stripe files here in the Resources section. Many graphics shops can hook you up- -- The hard part is sourcing the textured material.

FWIW, a lot of people have had trouble with the adhesive when using the OEM ones lately (dried up).
    The OEM ones are useless. Besides the adhesive no longer working they were stored in a box rolled up. After 30 years it becomes difficult to unroll and flatten out. Like anything made of plastic or vinyl, the plasticizer (the ingredient that makes plastic flexible) dries out and becomes brittle. Their only use now is for sample purposes to recreate new ones. Getting the materiel is not hard. The problem is quantities. The shop has to order a minimum and that is more than you need to do one set. That is why it makes sense for a vendor to have them made. They can stock them and wait till orders come in. Like any part that must be reproduced. It is all about quantities.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The OEM ones are useless.
    Gear down there, big rig...

Installed OEM "useless" side stripe a year ago. Not a single issue. Looks better than any reproductions out there (i dont like the DMC cut out personally) and it 100% original. I took a chance seeing how it's risk of catching fire it low.

The same could be said for all the label kits. If they were stored properly and you take your time, there are no issues.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Gear down there, big rig...

Installed OEM "useless" side stripe a year ago. Not a single issue. Looks better than any reproductions out there (i dont like the DMC cut out personally) and it 100% original. I took a chance seeing how it's risk of catching fire it low.

The same could be said for all the label kits. If they were stored properly and you take your time, there are no issues.

Maybe yours was stored in a better, cooler, darker place. The ones I have seen (and I sold one that I had) were not in very good condition. Some parts were just not meant to be left on a shelf for 30 years and still be "good as new"!
    David Teitelbaum

Haha, I was dead set on a wide side stripe as long as I can remember. It certainly is a polarizing feature.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Maybe yours was stored in a better, cooler, darker place. The ones I have seen (and I sold one that I had) were not in very good condition. Some parts were just not meant to be left on a shelf for 30 years and still be "good as new"!
    The OEM thin grey ones I have are fine, maybe a little stiffer than you'd expect from new but unrolled no problem. Coil diameter was pretty wide though, about a foot, maybe the wide black stripes were stored in a tighter roll? Not sure about the adhesive but wasn't counting on it anyway, I'm planning to use the stripes in fabrication of my custom split rub strip pieces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2