FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement clock for DeLorean DMC-12

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by bunni View Post
    HOLY HELL, that is way overpriced. Niche market I guess. Looks good, but geeze...
    I don't fault the guy for taking hte time to develope this (or copy the original) and wanting to make some money but I think I agree. I can't believe their is nearly $240 in parts and labor in this thing...

There is a well known board member who has crafted half a dozen relay and other electrical replacements parts. Each are hand made but I don't think a single one is over $100. That being said the original parts for those are still available unlike the clock.

I will be curious to see how many he sells.

Just my opinion.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    #4222

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

If it came with a case I might be more willing to warm up to that price. I know what its like to have to come up with a cost for something like that, you either sell them at a high price and only have to sell a few or drop the price and hope that enough people will buy in order for you to break even. I've never dealt with a niche market like this, there might be more than enough people willing to pay that price. But I could probably build my own blue one for half of the cost + shipping to the USA. I guess I will have to add that to my list of DeLorean things to do. I've toyed with trying to put a Nixie tube clock somewhere in the car. But I have not really come up with any good plans yet.
    -Kris

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanVIN View Post
    Hi,

I want to answer the questions raised earlier in the thread:

The size and also the readability of the digits is comparable to the original clock. Note that the separator dots between hours and minutes are placed a bit wider. The blue digit display is a bit more bright than the green digit display. See the blue digit display in action in daylight in the earlier post of "john 05141" in this thread.

As "dmc6960" mentioned above, the green cover of the housing does hardly influence the color appearance of the green or blue digits.

To make things clear. The clock is a replacement printed circuit board (PCB). It replaces the original PCB, you need to have the original clock housing and cover to install it.
    Installing should be easy by following the steps in the included manual.

Maurice

Any chance of a group purchase to lower the cost?

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bunni View Post
    If it came with a case I might be more willing to warm up to that price. I know what its like to have to come up with a cost for something like that, you either sell them at a high price and only have to sell a few or drop the price and hope that enough people will buy in order for you to break even. I've never dealt with a niche market like this, there might be more than enough people willing to pay that price. But I could probably build my own blue one for half of the cost + shipping to the USA. I guess I will have to add that to my list of DeLorean things to do. I've toyed with trying to put a Nixie tube clock somewhere in the car. But I have not really come up with any good plans yet.
    Now that's sweet - spendy little things though.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    02261

Here I am quoting myself again.
    Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    I hope to GAWD this is not some sort of cruel joke. I am going to order one right now and let you all know what happens. I am so tired of looking at the empty hole where my clock was and I want the interior complete.
    I have to pass on the order for the new clock since I thought it was a complete unit. I have no clock therefore I can’t use the new printed circuit board with the new wires.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

My VIN:    #4222

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Now that's sweet - spendy little things though.
    Yeah, quite overpriced indeed. The smaller ones you can get for $10-$15 each in small quantities I think.
    -Kris

Hi,

To answer the questions about the price.

The price of the item is, for a display with:
    * green digits: 179 Euro.
    * blue digits: 199 Euro.(blue digit components are more expensive)

These prices are exclusive shipping costs.

Maurice
    Yeeeeash..... We a poor country man, didn't you hear we got a national credit down-grade?

Hi,

To answer the questions about the price.

The price of the item is, for a display with:
    * green digits: 179 Euro.
    * blue digits: 199 Euro.(blue digit components are more expensive)

These prices are exclusive shipping costs.

Maurice
    Wow. Too rich for my blood. I liked he idea of replacing my working clock with one that would keep the time even when I use battery cut-off switch. Sadly, I think I will pass for now. Glad to see there is an option though!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Sphiend - VIN 6510
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Check it yo!

1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sphiend View Post
    Wow. Too rich for my blood.
    Yep. OP finally got back to me via PM and sent me the price, and this was my exact reaction. No longer interested.

It's very much a REALLY nice clock upgrade, but not $260 nice. Sorry, but for that price I'll continue dealing with my broken clock.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast