FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Replacement clock for DeLorean DMC-12

My VIN:    2245

I like my car to look as original as possible, I'll be getting one of these to replace my not working clock. You could also sell these to some Esprit owners.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Great Scott!

That is a picture of my DeLorean OEM clock case, now with a modern functional digital 80's style clock on the inside! This is a great new product, to get back the OEM look for our cars. I'll be discussing and showing it during my presentation at DCS (Sat 6/16/2012, 11am). and reviewing it full (with more pictures) on my blog soon.

Summary: Yet another very well made, good looking, modern replacement product for our cars.

EDIT:
    PS At the presentation, I will also show side by side the other modern clock alternative, the Dakota Clock Option. I did a full review of that one here. Each of these two options has its own pros and cons, but this new clock option has a very (very) short list of "cons".
    Last edited by Ozzie; 06-06-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Can't wait to see it and meet you! I have done all of the LED upgrades in your article except for the turn signals and bulbs in the tail lights. I am saving up for high power SMT Eagle Eye 5s....

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

OK, as promised, here is a link with plenty of pictures, to the review of this new clock: "DMC-12's Clock: It's Alive!"

I also showed it powered up at my LED presentation, this past weekend at DCS 2012 in Orlando, and overall got very good feedback on it.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    OK, as promised, here is a link with plenty of pictures, to the review of this new clock: "DMC-12's Clock: It's Alive!"

I also showed it powered up at my LED presentation, this past weekend at DCS 2012 in Orlando, and overall got very good feedback on it.
    As you always do, great write up. The old display is a vacuum fluorescent technology.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

thanks for that, Ozzie, very informative. the new clock looks great!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    03572

Very pleased

I just installed this new clock and I must say;

Very professional design. Well thought out and documented.
    Packaging for shipping is also very professional.
    Instructions very clear.

This clock is a microprocessor design with a rechargeable battery that keeps the time even with no power (battery turned off). Get this, when I turned on my key to see if it worked, it displayed the correct east coast time to the second. I have a WWV synchronized clock which is how I could verify the time.

This clock uses your original case and lens. You get the PCB, new connector (clock end) and new push button rods. Replacing my OEM unit took about 1 hour.

[email protected]

note: I bought this because my center console with all LED lighting is so bright and crisp. My original clock did work so if anyone is looking for a working OEM clock, PM me. My OEM clock also has my low power mod build into the wires.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3299

Very cool writeup props to Ozzie. I always enjoy you, Jon's, and Alex's writeups !!

This is a beautiful design - well done and very clean. Lots of "ooooooooo. ahhhh's!!!" from me as I read this thread.

In contrast, as others may know, I went with flux3d's alternative design for three reasons:

1. Price was more than half of this ($109).
    2. I like the big digits on the display.
    3. The crucial one: I could throw away my old casing. Mine was broken and missing one of the mounting holes for the 7mm hex nuts that hold the clock in place. Flux3d's clockface is a massive piece of acrylic plexiglass (I believe) in a rectangular shape - so goodbye old clock housing.

I will say though, Maurice has made an absolutely beautiful clock that keeps the car with stock components and appearance - well done to him.

Given that he has utilized today's technology to retrofit with old technology and that it does service a niche market of DeLorean and Lotus owners, the price is what it is. I'm not saying I think the price is spot-on perfect, as I bought the alternative option from Mark, but I am saying that having the OEM look with today's technology comes at a price.

Well done to both R&D guys. Thank you Maurice and Mark for providing us options!! And thank you Ozzie for the Dakota Dash alternative!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I'm really, really looking forward to seeing the version of this with the more stock number sizes. Especially with an endorsement like Dave M's above, that's huge! Nice work!!!

My OEM clock must be one of the few out there that still works and looks perfectly, but I'm always *thrilled* to read about a modern replacement for an NLA part, no matter what it is.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    1100

Club(s):   (DCN)

@Bitsyncmaster: Thanks for your review. It's good to know my work is appreciated. Enjoy your clock!

@DeLorean03: Thank you for your compliment. The goal of my clock design is to be as original as possible, also regarding your second point.

Several people have contacted me and asked if i still make this clock, the answer is yes.
    I make sure i always have a number of clocks in both colors calibrated and ready for delivery.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast