FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any harm in removing lambda counter?

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

There is exactly ONE electrical cable that comes out of the Lambda counter. Disconnect the plug on that cable and you will have no more Lambda light. The one you are pointing to appears to be that one and only plug.

If you have a functional system, why would you want to disable the light?
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    If we were talking about a woman, it'd be because the oil/lamba/engine lights are too bright and distract from her driving
    Chris

There is exactly ONE electrical cable that comes out of the Lambda counter. Disconnect the plug on that cable and you will have no more Lambda light. The one you are pointing to appears to be that one and only plug.

Because I don't want it to come on. The way I understand it is, the whole LAMBDA system basically serves to remind the owner to change the O2 sensor. Which is recomended at about 30k. I guess maybe a better question would be, if the sensor goes bad, and the LAMBDA light comes on, does replacing the sensor automatically extinguish the light?

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Because I don't want it to come on. The way I understand it is, the whole LAMBDA system basically serves to remind the owner to change the O2 sensor. Which is recomended at about 30k. I guess maybe a better question would be, if the sensor goes bad, and the LAMBDA light comes on, does replacing the sensor automatically extinguish the light?
    I just replaced my LAMBDA counter with a brand new one and the light went off. I spoke with Dave at DMCMW and he said there is no actual harm in fully removing it other than the speedo and odometer being disabled. I think PJ Grady has a bypass cable, though.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Because I don't want it to come on.
    That's not really an answer though. WHY don't you want it to come on?

It's pretty much a mechanical "Service" light. When it comes on you replace the o2 sensor, reset the counter, and you're finished. So again, if you have a functional system why would you want to disable it?

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    I just replaced my LAMBDA counter with a brand new one and the light went off. I spoke with Dave at DMCMW and he said there is no actual harm in fully removing it other than the speedo and odometer being disabled. I think PJ Grady has a bypass cable, though.
    It's not really a bypass cable per se, it's actually just a single cable that runs directly from the angle drive to the speedometer.
    - Chris

what

That's not really an answer though. WHY don't you want it to come on?

It's pretty much a mechanical "Service" light. When it comes on you replace the o2 sensor, reset the counter, and you're finished. So again, if you have a functional system why would you want to disable it?
    I just didn't think it was nessary. But I didn't know about resetting the counter, how is that done ?

I just didn't think it was nessary. But I didn't know about resetting the counter, how is that done ?
    There's a little white wheel on the side. After you've replaced the o2 sensor you just turn the wheel until the counter reads 000. Then the light turns off and you don't worry about it for another 30k miles. It's dead easy.
    - Chris

what

There's a little white wheel on the side. After you've replaced the o2 sensor you just turn the wheel until the counter reads 000. Then the light turns off and you don't worry about it for another 30k miles. It's dead easy.
    That is dead easy. Huh, guess I can live with that.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It's not really a bypass cable per se, it's actually just a single cable that runs directly from the angle drive to the speedometer.
    The downside to the longer cable is that, should you ever need to replace it, you have to remove or at least detach the binnacle to get the cable off. With the two-piece ones it is always the lower that fails and replacement is pretty easy since the in-car connection is so accessible. The upside is fewer moving parts to go bad (i.e. the counter).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The downside to the longer cable is that, should you ever need to replace it, you have to remove or at least detach the binnacle to get the cable off. With the two-piece ones it is always the lower that fails and replacement is pretty easy since the in-car connection is so accessible. The upside is fewer moving parts to go bad (i.e. the counter).
    I agree with this whole-heartedly, having just replaced my angle drive and lower speedo cable a few weeks back.

Additionally, the counter can also serve as a buffer between a failed/failing angle drive, dust cap, or lower cable and the speedometer. If something is going to break, I'd rather it toast the counter before anything else - especially the speedometer. I've already had to rebuild my lambda counter once thanks to the previous angle drive and lower cable.
    - Chris

what

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast