FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Should I keep or sell my original parts?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep 'em.

13 52.00%
  • Sell 'em.

5 20.00%
  • I like turtles!

7 28.00%

Thread: Keep or sell original parts?

My VIN:    4656

Keep or sell original parts?

I'm going to start modifying/upgrading areas of my car. I do not plan on selling my car in the future. Question is, would you suggest I keep the original parts, or sell them to help offset the cost of the mods?

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Wow, you're going to get a very mixed bag of opinions here. When I did my engine and fueling upgrades, I sold my parts to off set the cost.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

And I meant to hit the sell button, not the keep.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I traded my K-Jet parts for a low mileage engine. I guess that would count as a sell, but of course I do like turtles.

What about parts that are pretty much worthless? I don't think anybody is going to want an original leaking radiator or door lock module. Do you guys just turn it in for aluminum scrap or what? I don't want to toss anything if it will be worth something to somebody, but I also don't want a pile of garbage in my garage.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
    What about parts that are pretty much worthless? I don't think anybody is going to want an original leaking radiator or door lock module. Do you guys just turn it in for aluminum scrap or what? I don't want to toss anything if it will be worth something to somebody, but I also don't want a pile of garbage in my garage.
    Earlier today I posted asking if anyone had a dead filter for an automatic transmission.

It would seem they are not available for anything like reasonable money and I just may like to whip out a small production run of excellent filters.

Yeah, I'd want a leaking radiator, dead lock module or most anything for these I can obtain and have room to properly store.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

As my car is mostly original, I hang on to alot of what I replace because most aftermarket parts are not the same and who knows what someone might come up with a repair for later.

I especially keep parts that don't exist anymore. For example while my clock works if it broke I might replace it with a crossover part but I would still keep the broken original.

I kept my bent TABs for pure nostalgia and show an tell.

If there are OEM parts available I might throw the originals away.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlHickey View Post
    Earlier today I posted asking if anyone had a dead filter for an automatic transmission.

It would seem they are not available for anything like reasonable money and I just may like to whip out a small production run of excellent filters.

Yeah, I'd want a leaking radiator, dead lock module or most anything for these I can obtain and have room to properly store.
    I'll keep you in mind as I start replacing stuff. ^_^

As the owner of a 64 year old car I would recommend keeping whatever parts you can. Obviously if there's a market to sell a part and you want to offset the cost, then by all means sell it. I would just hesitate to "scrap" something. Who knows in 30 years what advancements have made certain technologies obsolete. Imagine if electric motors take off, radiators won't be all that common anymore.