FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Restoration of #1768

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

That was absolutely a great day. I wish more of those guys were active on here! We have an amazing local crew.

Edit: Jinx, David you owe me a Coke... ;-)
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

My VIN:    4534

Very cool stuff. I've done a tree and come-along frame alignment on an older car. That one is considered a redneck alignment. I guess with no sturdy trees the tow rope could be considered the cali-alignment
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    1768

What we dont have sturdy trees here in California, is that it? Two words: Red wood. lol. Well I dont have any kind of winch so a small car would have to do, and it worked!

April 28 2012

Another Davis Picnic Day Parade. This time with the Norcal DMC club too!

Working on another small idea ive been thinking about. Can you guess what it is?

Finally I received my "NASA derived" urethane glue, Panel 60. But I had nothing that could dispense it properly. Time to make something!

A quick trim to this caulk gun's frame allowed the bottle to sit in nicely.

Now it needs a dual plunger system, so I welded two pieces of 3/8" rod to a scrap 1/8" plate.

And that to the original plunger. Note the shaft can still rotate separately of the new dual plungers to they can be retracted.

But now the gun is too short to fit the bottle, I cut it in half and welded two more pieces of 3/8 rod to lengthen the body. A simple zip tie or similar strap will ensure the tube doesnt fall off, but overall it seems secure, its not too pretty but it will do the job!. Hopefully I will be able to use it this coming week.

I took the car to work this last Friday and on the way home I smelt rubber and heard an intermittent squeak in the rear it seems my 3yr old AC belt had shredded. Strange. I already have a new one on since I carry spares!

My VIN:    05141

"Working on another small idea ive been thinking about. Can you guess what it is?"

fried cirquit?
    Where does the battery go?

John

Steering with power

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    What we dont have sturdy trees here in California, is that it? Two words: Red wood. lol. Well I dont have any kind of winch so a small car would have to do, and it worked!
    I didn't see any in your photo so I assumed your yard had no trees. Can't exactly go down to the local park to do that
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I didn't see any in your photo so I assumed your yard had no trees. Can't exactly go down to the local park to do that
    LOL, most of our yards don't have trees out here. But we COULD go drive to the park and do our frame straightening on giant redwoods... if we wanted ;-)
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    "Working on another small idea ive been thinking about. Can you guess what it is?"

fried cirquit?
    Where does the battery go?

John

Keyless entry remote inside a hot wheels key chain, Sadly Im having alot of trouble finding a 12v battery that will fit so Its not finished yet.

May 7

Drove to Reno with my girlfriend this last weekend. No problems, only the AC was cycling a bit too quickly, needed a little more refrigerant. I've been talking with my friend Jon and he is really worried about the condition of the steel" roof box" that is glued to the roof and secures the door hinges and torsion bars. However its the torsion bars that can apply enough force to start lifting this box off the fiberglass body. It seems his might be separating and I decided to check mine.

T Panel is off.

Driver side looks great, you can see the steel shell that is glued to the roof with green adhesive.

Passenger too.

I was curious to what lurked under the access panel.

Four giant connections probably haven't seen daylight in 30 years.

And RUST! my frame was super rust plagued so why shouldn't the roof be too. It doesnt look like serious cancer but there are some big flakes loose.

Also it seems that this has been opened in the last 30 years, somebody has taped up a few wires with tape, I dont like the look of that. all my door electronic work great but now I disturbed it.

My VIN:    573

Wow, you did a lot of work. Great, that you can enjoy the car now with your girlfriend. Keep the thread updated

Best wishes
    Don
    Douglas Adams:
    „The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that
    when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.“

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast