FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Restoration of #1768

My VIN:    05141

awesome.... keep em kommin'

John

Steering with power

My VIN:    1919 & 2207

Great thread! Will definately be following this.

When I rebuilt my steering rack, there wasn't a bush in the drivers side either, i was of the understanding that there wasn't meant to be, only on the passenger side. I think the plastic bush under the blind plate is what puts tension on the rack to push against the pinion. I would be interested to see how the rack is with this bush on the drivers side, as mine still has a bit of slack in it.

Cheers
    Paul Black - Vin 1919

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Oh boy, that engine cradle looks rough.

My car also has some frame rot issues, and as such I am in the middle of a total frame-off restoration. If you are interested, you can check out my progress here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?55...on-of-VIN-4363

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?948-Body-Frame-Separation-Party!-SAT-7-30-11

Best of luck on your project!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    05457

Very cool to see all of this compared to where your car is at today. You have done some amazing work! Great thread!
    David Proehl

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

July 15 2009

Next I separated the transaxle and engine to get a look at the clutch which looked to be in great shape. In the receipts I got with the car I found the clutch was also replaced in Houston.

Curing the Cancer

July 19 2009

Picked up the trailer again and with a friend I was able to push the car on it and bring her back to my shop for some full access to the frame and rust repair.

Cutting commenced with a 4.5" angle grinder and cut off disc. I was getting ruthless.

After a fair amount of wire wheeling and acid treatment to neutralize the corrosion it was time to make templets in card board and then out of 12 ga steel

I also had to create new tow hooks, using 1/8th steel and backing plates, also a small triangular gusset on the back side

July 20th

With the driver side done it was the passenger side's turn, luckily this wasnt as bad as the driver side.

Then the same tow hook and gusset treatment

In all 14 pieces of rotted metal was removed, with some structural integrity back in place it was time to return home

Aug 2 2009

While the trans was loose I cleaned it at the local car wash, I got just as wet as the trans did. Atleast the car was loosing weight!

Also painted the fresh frame repairs with silver POR15, im still looking for some good paint that looks better.

Aug 6 2009

After removing the exhaust system and snapping off most of the studs in the heads I also found the catalytic converter was falling apart as well. I was able to find another good one for $50 on Dmctalk.com

The manifold and cross over pipe was very rusty but not rotted through so some heavy wire wheeling and high temp paint would be enough to make it acceptable. The real issue that was causing the leaking was the sealing flanges were warped. A few hours on a small bench sander and grinder was able to flatten the surfaces for the new gaskets. Also the broken studs cooperated and came out with much fight but since the kit came with enough M7 studs I replaced all of them

August 4 2009

Waiting for a few more parts I was still eager to do more work so I stripped the Motorola alternator down and gave it a new paint job.

Right Rear Suspension Overhaul

The suspension was the next large area the needed attention. I began on the left rear by removing everything, My garage was starting to get pretty messy but the chaos was necessary. The shocks felt strong still so my plan was to clean them up and use them until I found some performance ones.

August 6 2009

Wire wheeled, prepped and primered the suspension components.

Aug 8 2009

With the primer dry and ready it was time for the 2 coats of POR 15 black.

Also the transaxle had 2 coats of silver to help protect from corrosion. I would have preferred to keep the trans bare however the oxidation looks quite terrible.

Also the exhaust was finished and ready to bolt back on, Its so difficult to assemble the exhaust when the engine is in the car

Aug 11 2009

Left rear suspension assembly went smoothly, i'm very pleased with how nice it came out.

I also played around with possible future brake upgrades, 2nd gen Mazda RX7 front caliper would bolt on with a simple adapter.

But back in the real world I knew I had to get the stock calipers working so they came apart and got the same wire wheel stripping treatment.

Aug 12 2009

The engine and trans went back in but just the mounts, she wouldnt be running for a few more weeks, taking the engine to be pressure washed wasnt logistical so it would have to go back in dirty until I could wash it in the car.

Fresh looking coil over sure is out of place here huh?

Aug 22 2009

I cut 1 1/4 coils from the rear coil springs to bring the rear down some. Now the front was looking quite ridiculously high.

Then I rolled her back to degrease the engine the best I could without a pressure washer.

Aug 23 2009

The rest of the injection and wiring was re installed ( I also ran the main wiring harness under the K Jet manifold to help clean up the look of the engine bay) This all has the thing running better, but initially it was idling quite low due to a poorly adjusted throttle linkage but fixing that brought it up.

Eager as always to try out my hard work I took it for a spin around the block, it nearly died when I gave it some heavy throttle so I did a quick u turn, I realized I had nearly no gas so I had to go run and get 2 more gallons from my gas can and I went for another drive. Overall it feels better but still alot of noise in the front end. The brakes are much better though. After a few more rounds of the block got back to the garage and I could not find reverse! So I raised the car and re adjusted the shifter cable and rod, somehow the engine didn't go back in exactly the same spot. While under the car I noticed my new axle paint wasnt sticking too well and the aluminum trailing arm shield were rubbing the axle near the outer CV due to the lowered suspension, some quick trimming was needed.

Engine and axles looking a bit cleaner now.

Still one of my favorite pic of the car.

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast