FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How To: 5-speed linkage and crossgate adjustment (video)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick774 View Post
    no matter what I do i can not get 5.
    If you can't get 5th even with the crossage adjusted too far to the left (where you can't get reverse)? What exactly is the failure? The stick moves but there's no gear to find, or the stick won't move forward? Does it freely move to the right past 3/4? I reassembled the gearbox on my friend Dan's project car recently and was stunned to find the selector fork gates didn't line up and I had to file away a section of the brass slider on 5th otherwise you had to do this weird forward jiggle just to get it to notch in. Clearly a Friday afternoon gearbox...
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

When the rear wheels are off the ground and I lay underneath the car I have somebody in the driver seat shifting through the gears and I can see the linkages moving appropriately into 5th as well as all other gears. When its back on the ground and in motion it will not reach into 5th. The shifter will only go into 3rd when pushed hard to the right. I even tried lifting up on the shifter before pushing toward 5th and still nothing. I dont understand how with the wheels in the air it makes a difference on the selector gate. I know when under load things can be affected however this is just strange. My margin for adjustment is so fine that I either lose reverse and 5th or as I stand right now have all but 5th. I've checked everything under center console and all bushings and hardware are new. Ive checked for any slop in the linkages and bracket but everything is correct. Im just convinced maybe my cable is stretched beyond propper adjustment being the original motor had nearly 400k miles on it.

My VIN:    03572

It's probably something sloppy in the transmission. You may be able to increase the throw by modifying the location where it connects on the tranny shorter or where it connects on the shifter longer to get a little more throw.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thank you guys im still tinkering with it now. Ill look into that next Dave. I can push the shifter forward with ease but theres no gear to find in the top right where 5th should be even if I lift up before throwingbit forward. It just falls back into 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick774 View Post
    My margin for adjustment is so fine that I either lose reverse and 5th or as I stand right now have all but 5th.
    5th is the only gear that requires you to push on the cable. Check the retaining nut at the shifter end is tight. Interestingly it's not shown in the parts diagram. Here's a still from one of my other videos, ignore the shifter, it's an auto-manual conversion.

nut.jpg
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3