FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A\C on, soft popping behind the console?

My VIN:    4534

I bought a set of gauges at HF today and put them on the D. After following the instructions (and a youtube video), I let the car properly warm up and held the idle at 1500 rpm. My compressor stopped cycling so much. However, I saw that both the high and low side were holding steady at about 130psi. The air from the vents was getting increasingly warmer. Both the high and low pressure adapters were painfully hot. I had to remove them with a shop rag.

According to the video the normal cause of the equalized pressure is a stuck open expansion valve. So what does that equate to in a Delorean's system? I do not see anything labeled expansion valve on DMCH's site.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I bought a set of gauges at HF today and put them on the D. After following the instructions (and a youtube video), I let the car properly warm up and held the idle at 1500 rpm. My compressor stopped cycling so much. However, I saw that both the high and low side were holding steady at about 130psi. The air from the vents was getting increasingly warmer. Both the high and low pressure adapters were painfully hot. I had to remove them with a shop rag.

According to the video the normal cause of the equalized pressure is a stuck open expansion valve. So what does that equate to in a Delorean's system? I do not see anything labeled expansion valve on DMCH's site.
    Was the compressor running? Sounds like it the compressor is not pumping. Our system does not use an expansion valve. It uses an orifice so it can't stick open.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Sounds like your system is full of air, not refrigerant. A system full of air would show high and low side pressures roughly equal because it would not go through a phase change.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Was the compressor running? Sounds like it the compressor is not pumping. Our system does not use an expansion valve. It uses an orifice so it can't stick open.

I bought a vacuum pump the same time I bought the gauges so I could try to vacuum it out. The compressor was running. Static pressure tests without the engine running show a much lower PSI so I think the compressor is doing something.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The proper order is to pressurize the system and test for leaks. After repairing any you find you replace the dryer/accumulator and retest the connections you did. Now you vacuum and then charge with refrigerant. If you have the original hoses you should just replace them. You should also drain all of the oil out of the compressor and refill with fresh. If the insides look clean (not all gunked up and black) you should be OK with this. Static you had enough pressure to trip the low pressure switch to get the compressor to run. It heated up the air and raised the pressure. To get that much air in the system you have large leaks.
    David Teitelbaum

I bought a vacuum pump the same time I bought the gauges so I could try to vacuum it out. The compressor was running. Static pressure tests without the engine running show a much lower PSI so I think the compressor is doing something.

Sounds like I should put her on blocks this summer and do the little things I've been putting off with the parts I already bought. Unfortunately today my company announced they will be closing up shop on the 21st of June. I can't spend any money on my projects now. Time to job hunt.

Thanks for the information everyone, I'll bookmark this thread when times aren't so troubling :\
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Sounds like I should put her on blocks this summer and do the little things I've been putting off with the parts I already bought. Unfortunately today my company announced they will be closing up shop on the 21st of June. I can't spend any money on my projects now. Time to job hunt.

Thanks for the information everyone, I'll bookmark this thread when times aren't so troubling :\
    Sorry to hear it mate, best of luck to you.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3