FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper header for odd fire PVR

Banned

How does your system perform?

Are the primaries 1.5" OD and perhaps 0.065" wall?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by EarlHickey; 05-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by EarlHickey View Post

How does your system perform?

Are the primaries 1.5" OD and perhaps 0.065" wall?
    That is correct. The top system is ours. The performance is great. A lot of owners on here have the system. I can't build the systems fast enough either. Next batch here tomorrow.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    That is correct. The top system is ours. The performance is great. A lot of owners on here have the system. I can't build the systems fast enough either. Next batch here tomorrow.

Can you explain the collector to me then? Two things, the angle of convergence and the stepped collector, is the collector double walled and fully tapered inside? I'm not concerned with any concessions to primary lengths to facilitate cats, mine will not be subjected to emissions testing or inspection. Given that, would you still build the header as short to optimize a reasonably stock engine with a short duration camshaft?

What diameter primaries are you running?

Your fabrication and welding results are very nice. Do you back purge with argon or use SolarFlux?

btw.... I looked on your site at the camshafts, I didn't see specs on the performance cams and I'm far too salty to bite without them. I'm the kinda guy that would have one ground or edm my own lobes before parting with beerslips for less than full disclosure.

I look forward to getting to know you and perhaps even working with you. You are in Ohio, correct? What part or nearest to which major city?
    Last edited by EarlHickey; 05-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Can you explain the collector to me then? Two things, the angle of convergence and the stepped collector, is the collector double walled and fully tapered inside? I'm not concerned with any concessions to primary lengths to facilitate cats, mine will not be subjected to emissions testing or inspection. Given that, would you still build the header as short to optimize a reasonably stock engine with a short duration camshaft?

What diameter primaries are you running?

Your fabrication and welding results are very nice. Do you back purge with argon or use SolarFlux?

btw.... I looked on your site at the camshafts, I didn't see specs on the performance cams and I'm far too salty to bite without them. I'm the kinda guy that would have one ground or edm my own lobes before parting with beerslips for less than full disclosure.

I look forward to getting to know you and perhaps even working with you. You are in Ohio, correct? What part or nearest to which major city?
    Just send me an email to [email protected] and I will send the cam card.
    We are in Tallmadge Ohio which is in the NE corner of the state near to akron and cleveland.

All of our systems are designed and fabricated by Stainless Works. Everything is tig welded and fabricated in 304 stainless. No idea on how to measure the collector convergence honestly...... Will a picture do?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

FYI - here is a shot of the DMC Houston header (one of them anyway). You'll notice it has much longer tubes (equal length) than the others, depending on what you are going for that may do better. Available only as a whole system, including muffler, 2 cats, 2 outlets, and all mounting hardware. This shows uncoated T304 SS and the ceramic coated option.

Non-Cat off-road pipes available separately.

Also a shot of an installed system.

DMCH Header.jpg

IMG_4972sma.jpg
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

One of the best features of our system is that it actually "fits" the fascia and is tucked up like a system should be. The muffler is designed not only for performance but noise control as well. No mig welded joints. No slip joints. Thick flanges to reduce warping. Oxygen sensor bung that will not distort and prevent the 02 from being removed. Integrated heat shield and the list goes on and on.
    Attached Images

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Just send me an email to [email protected] and I will send the cam card.
    We are in Tallmadge Ohio which is in the NE corner of the state near to akron and cleveland.

All of our systems are designed and fabricated by Stainless Works. Everything is tig welded and fabricated in 304 stainless. No idea on how to measure the collector convergence honestly...... Will a picture do?

Thanks and I do get up that way and about an hour west of you.

I got a better look at the angle, from another picture, and it appears within the realm of usefulness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    FYI - here is a shot of the DMC Houston header (one of them anyway). You'll notice it has much longer tubes (equal length) than the others, depending on what you are going for that may do better. Available only as a whole system, including muffler, 2 cats, 2 outlets, and all mounting hardware. This shows uncoated T304 SS and the ceramic coated option.

Non-Cat off-road pipes available separately.

Also a shot of an installed system.

DMCH Header.jpg

IMG_4972sma.jpg
    Do you know the primary ID and approximate length? What size ID is at the end of the collector?

My guess is the ID would be the OD minus about 0.125"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Do you know the primary ID and approximate length? What size ID is at the end of the collector?

My guess is the ID would be the OD minus about 0.125"
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm curious as to why you need such detailed specs on each. Dont get me wrong, I totally understand doing your research, personally, I just dont understand well enough how all these differences and specs affect performance. I know a lot of times, header tube length is simply determined by what will fit.

Again, not trying to jab or insult you for asking so many questions, mearly curious.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm curious as to why you need such detailed specs on each. Dont get me wrong, I totally understand doing your research, personally, I just dont understand well enough how all these differences and specs affect performance. I know a lot of times, header tube length is simply determined by what will fit.

Again, not trying to jab or insult you for asking so many questions, mearly curious.

A tuned exhaust, for specific characteristics, is of very fixed dimensions and those numbers, not available space constraints, determine how much of a tangled mess of snakes the actual pipe is, what happens between the collector and muffler is secondary to the function of the scavenging effect of a well designed header. After that point matters virtually zilch unless it's completely corked.

A high rpm and high horsepower header will have certain defining features and one that produces torque and great mid range will have others.

You can do the basic math for exhaust systems and it's been proven that when the math absolutely works, you got lucky as it does not take into account a phenomena known as "unsteady viscous flow" and a couple other variables. Regardless, there are still more than soft relationships between primary diameter, length and valve events with collector design and variables playing a huge role in how and where a header works best.

Of course when there is zero, or less than zero space for an effective design, you gotta do what you gotta do and just about anything would be better than the stock cast iron log. However, I don't see physical constraints being a problem on these cars, especially if one doesn't want any cats.

Check out Burns Stainless or? Exhaust for some basic info on design. They do make some of the finest exhaust systems I've ever seen, and it's very likely you've seen many of them too, if you observe any world class high end racing events. I'm sure there are plenty of sites out there going into great detail and I could suggest a few good book titles if you want to delve deeper into tuning specifics.

I generally do my own induction and exhaust designs as well as their fabrication. I'm not opposed to buying what I want, already made, if it exists.

Do you know if a header for an even fire PRV would be optimum for an odd fire PRV? And vice versa?

Have you ever seen a header for a flat cranked V-8? Look one up and then we can talk about fitting pipes where space allows. ;-)

I don't suppose I've ever just bought parts such as heads, cams, headers, etc without knowing their full specifications and blueprints. I've even been known to send camshafts back that didn't match the card for various reasons including polydyne errors...and I mean to the big guys..... most people don't know how to check and maybe wouldn't even if they did.
    Last edited by EarlHickey; 05-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast