Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
Remember with the DMCH pump your getting the pump, check valve, fuel gauge ECU, fuel sender cap and plug and play wiring. So it's not just $430 for a $50 pump.
Exactly, and by supporting a vendor, you are helping to ensure ongoing product innovations (like the subject fuel module) and reproductions for a 38 year old orphan car.

Quote Originally Posted by Malevy View Post
It is possible a better quality pump (and/or screen) will not be as fragile. Quite possible the failures I have seen are due to debris too, but "seat of the pants" non-scientific observation leads me to believe that other pumps may be more reliable (even if that means less prone to damage from debris). I have installed lots of fuel pumps in DeLoreans, and Non-DeLoreans..

Ignoring the check valve issues (resolved by adding an external one), I have seen 2 pumps that have failed where they still pump but the pressure is too low for the fuel system to operate properly. Even out of the box, they seem to produce less pressure than a well worn OEM Bosch pump.
I think if you are seeing failures that you suspect are due to debris, you should perhaps look at their installation procedures. Installing any pump regardless of price point in a clean environment is important. Because the fuel returns to the tank, it is of course important to surgically clean the tank, but remember that dirty components downstream that can return contaminated fuel to your clean tank.

Failures right out of the box are not that rare in today's mass production world. That said, I have had great service after the sale from DMC when I have had any problems with a product ( the same can be said for several other vendors too ).

I am completing 7 years in-service with my DMCH all in one fuel module without a hitch. To me, that's reliable. But, I also went through the entire fuel system during my restoration as well.

Cheers,