FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Integrated pump sender combo!

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Actually, I'm surprised that the internal check valve lasted as long as it did on your unit, as the one on mine lasted all of two weeks before failing.
    This is a silly question/remark but I'll ask anyway. The internal check valves on these plumps are failing in the open positions correct.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    This is a silly question/remark but I'll ask anyway. The internal check valves on these plumps are failing in the open positions correct.
    Yes and no.

While I admittedly haven't done an autopsy on a failed pump's internal check valve to find out for certain, what I believe is happening when a failure occurs is that the valve is in fact closing, but because the valve isn't rated to sustain the kind of back-pressure that's placed upon it by the force of the accumulator spring acting upon the fluid pressure of the fuel that's in the line when the pump is disengaged, the valve is not fully seating in the closed position as it should, and thus is slightly open which allows the bleeding off of fuel/pressure back into the tank from the feed line, as opposed to holding it in that line as it's supposed to.

The external inline check valve that I recommended (and DMCH is now shipping with every unit sold) is rated to sustain a back-pressure of up to 500psi, which is more than enough for our systems and provides ample headroom to assure a long trouble free life of the check valve.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Does anyone else have issues with their gas gauge not moving past 3/4 of a tank with this new unit?
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Does anyone else have issues with their gas gauge not moving past 3/4 of a tank with this new unit?
    On the new one? No. That was pretty much the de facto issue with the original and first gen repro senders. If your new combo unit is doing that, either your gauge is stuck or your float is tangled on the anti-static wire in the tank.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Mine was moving a 1/4 tank higher than full. Replaced the pump, then tried the float, then finally got a new logic box. That fixed it.

I had one of the first units shipped out, the newer boxes are sealed better. I am guessing corrosion inside the case.

Reach out to the vendor you bought it from and troubleshoot with them.

Before that though, make sure that when you install it you positioned it correctly. I was told that some get caught up on the static line in the tank, preventing the float from raising fully.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    6679

Yep, mine started doing that about six months ago - it never goes past 3/4 anymore.

I've not bothered to report it given DMCH's extensive care factor
    Chris

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The modern DMCH pump seems to be popular in all sorts of cars. I was recently watching "How It's Made: Dream Cars" and they were showing the assembly of a Caterham 7 in England.

Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Anyone that has installed this have an original sender unit they'd be willing to part with?
    My car came with the first "improved" one and I cant stand how it never reads full , stays at between half full and half empty forever, then drops 1/4 to almost empty.
    Mine is doing the exact same thing.

Were you able to find a solution? If so, what was it?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Had my integrated fuel pump die on my car yesterday.

Made it 3 years / 22000 miles.

Seems a little too soon, not very impressed.

It may be a reasonable assumption that the LS engine was more taxing on the fuel pump. However the fact of the matter is the LS gets similar mileage to the PRV (volume) and it runs 25psi lower than the stock K-jet system.
    Furthermore, this pump is sourced from a v8 gm vehicle so it is certainly up to the task.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Had my integrated fuel pump die on my car yesterday.

Made it 3 years / 22000 miles.

Seems a little too soon, not very impressed.

It may be a reasonable assumption that the LS engine was more taxing on the fuel pump. However the fact of the matter is the LS gets similar mileage to the PRV (volume) and it runs 25psi lower than the stock K-jet system.
    Furthermore, this pump is sourced from a v8 gm vehicle so it is certainly up to the task.
    Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. It lasted about 1.5 years/less than 1000 miles. Sitting in traffic and the engine just shut off and would not restart. Pulled the unit and sent it to DMCMW, who said the pump itself had just fried (had a burned spot on it)

Unmodified PRV here. Also not terribly impressed - a lot of advantages design-wise, but the overall quality of the pump itself seems to be rather poor.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast