FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: NEW Integrated pump sender combo!

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Had my integrated fuel pump die on my car yesterday.

Made it 3 years / 22000 miles.

Seems a little too soon, not very impressed.

It may be a reasonable assumption that the LS engine was more taxing on the fuel pump. However the fact of the matter is the LS gets similar mileage to the PRV (volume) and it runs 25psi lower than the stock K-jet system.
    Furthermore, this pump is sourced from a v8 gm vehicle so it is certainly up to the task.
    I can assure you that the pump is not sourced from a V8. Can you be any more specific about the manner of failure? What is the serial number of your unit? It's located on the controller box.

FWIW, the pump itself is replaceable, as is the "sock" filter attached to it. I'd be interested to see what the filter on yours looks like after 22K miles/3 years.

I presume that you bought it from DMCMW or DMCNW, correct? Have you tried reaching out to either of them on this for some input?
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    I can assure you that the pump is not sourced from a V8. Can you be any more specific about the manner of failure? What is the serial number of your unit? It's located on the controller box.

FWIW, the pump itself is replaceable, as is the "sock" filter attached to it. I'd be interested to see what the filter on yours looks like after 22K miles/3 years.

I presume that you bought it from DMCMW or DMCNW, correct? Have you tried reaching out to either of them on this for some input?
    Mine is a later unit. I can get a serial number later. Car just died and i have a trip planned in two days so I am a bit frustrated to be honest. This pump is really hyped up.
    If the pump itself is replaceable can I get a source on that? I just see the numbers 24137 on the pump.

In the meantime to get me up and going I am dropping in a 98 4dr tahoe fuel pump. Pressures and volume more than handle the needs of my engine and the sender resistance values are identical to my current failed unit so the logic box will work.
    Also a fraction of the cost of a new pump...
    Last edited by Josh; 08-17-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It seems like Josh and I are not alone.. others chimed in on my thread here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ed-How-to-test
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. It lasted about 1.5 years/less than 1000 miles. Sitting in traffic and the engine just shut off and would not restart. Pulled the unit and sent it to DMCMW, who said the pump itself had just fried (had a burned spot on it)

Unmodified PRV here. Also not terribly impressed - a lot of advantages design-wise, but the overall quality of the pump itself seems to be rather poor.
    Well doesn't really look like I can complain... 1000miles, thats nothing!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    It seems like Josh and I are not alone.. others chimed in on my thread here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ed-How-to-test
    I've spoken to Mike at DMCMW about yours and asked him to return it to us so I can return it to our supplier for evaluation. Wasn't there some issue with a kinked accumulator line on your car causing abnormally high pressures or something like that?
    James Espey, President

In the meantime to get me up and going I am dropping in a 98 4dr tahoe fuel pump. Pressures and volume more than handle the needs of my engine and the sender resistance values are identical to my current failed unit so the logic box will work.
    Well, I'll be. That surely does look familiar.

Attached Images
    Jon

I've spoken to Mike at DMCMW about yours and asked him to return it to us so I can return it to our supplier for evaluation. Wasn't there some issue with a kinked accumulator line on your car causing abnormally high pressures or something like that?
    That was the first pump, and yes that's exactly what happened. Good memory!

Dave at Midwest got me a new unit back in January of 2014 (wow, time flies. Guess it was 2.5 years, but still only about 1000 miles - I need to drive more) and I replaced the kinked accumulator line, which was the only remaining original fuel hose on the car.

The one that fried electrically was the replacement pump. Mike suggested that it was high ambient temperatures coupled with only having about 1/4 tank of gas at the time - but both of those were very short-lived environmental conditions and should not have been a problem....
    Last edited by jawn101; 08-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    Jon

Mine is a later unit. I can get a serial number later. Car just died and i have a trip planned in two days so I am a bit frustrated to be honest. This pump is really hyped up.
    If the pump itself is replaceable can I get a source on that? I just see the numbers 24137 on the pump.

I could ship a replacement pump. filter, hoses and tool to you today, but if you're up against a deadline and with shipping/customs to Canada, for your unique application that may be the path of least resistance for you.
    James Espey, President

I could ship a replacement pump. filter, hoses and tool to you today, but if you're up against a deadline and with shipping/customs to Canada, for your unique application that may be the path of least resistance for you.
    I would still be interested so I could rebuild my pump and use it for a spare.
    is there a picture of what is included in this kit?

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

I would still be interested so I could rebuild my pump and use it for a spare.
    is there a picture of what is included in this kit?
    It's a not a kit per se, but it would come as shown here with a new pump, two new hoses (you'll cut the old ones off), a new in-tank filter (while you're in there) and a loaner set of pliers to get the hoses on. We don't have any written instructions for this. but it's pretty straightforward and we can walk you through it easy enough.

IMG_6350.jpg
    James Espey, President

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast