FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Integrated pump sender combo!

My VIN:    11596

Just a couple quick updates. This weekend I got the car running and everything is working great. I only drove it far enough to get to the gas station so I could fill the tank up with fresh gas, then went straight home. Almost as soon as I got back to my garage I put the car up on jack stands so I could do a total brake overhaul which might take up to 2 weeks to complete since I'm having DMCMW plate the calipers.

The low fuel light came on as I was driving to the station and I added about 11.5 gallons fuel, so the low fuel light comes on at around 2 gallons remaining.

When I got home with a full tank, I jumped the RPM relay to see what the pump sound like, and it's so quiet that I could hear the fuel rushing through the lines on the engine louder than I could hear the pump.

More updates once I get to do a full shake-down of the car!

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Just a couple quick updates. This weekend I got the car running and everything is working great. I only drove it far enough to get to the gas station so I could fill the tank up with fresh gas, then went straight home. Almost as soon as I got back to my garage I put the car up on jack stands so I could do a total brake overhaul which might take up to 2 weeks to complete since I'm having DMCMW plate the calipers.

The low fuel light came on as I was driving to the station and I added about 11.5 gallons fuel, so the low fuel light comes on at around 2 gallons remaining.

When I got home with a full tank, I jumped the RPM relay to see what the pump sound like, and it's so quiet that I could hear the fuel rushing through the lines on the engine louder than I could hear the pump.

More updates once I get to do a full shake-down of the car!

Andy
    That's a good sign. Did you get a chance to check the pump current yet?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Oops, forgot. I will either tonight or tomorrow. Should I measure the amps with a meter directly on the pump with the rpm relay jumped, or is there a better way for an accurate comparison?
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Oops, forgot. I will either tonight or tomorrow. Should I measure the amps with a meter directly on the pump with the rpm relay jumped, or is there a better way for an accurate comparison?
    You want to pull the fuse and measure the current across the two fuse socket terminals. You will need to jumper the RPM relay for this test.

DON'T put a current meter across the pump or you will blow the fuel pump fuse and or your meter fuse.
    Dave M vin 03572

Using Dave's method I measured exactly 7 amps. Key off, rpm relay jumped, measuring across fuse 7 terminals.

How does that compare to OEM?

Edit: Derp! My car is stock. Just measured 6.2 amps using same method with stock setup.

Andy
    Last edited by 82DMC12; 05-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Using Dave's method I measured exactly 7 amps. Key off, rpm relay jumped, measuring across fuse 7 terminals.

How does that compare to OEM?

Edit: Derp! My car is stock. Just measured 6.2 amps using same method with stock setup.

Andy
    7 to 8 amps is normal. It will draw a little more when the engine is running and the battery voltage is 14 volts. You also get a little difference depending on how your primary pressure is calibrated.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by living_the_dream View Post
    What's the main reasons to getting the new fuel sender unit? I'm out of the loop on this one
    There are no original unused Fuel Sending Units available. At delorean.com they sell a new metal one to replace the original plastic one but some people have complained over many years that the new metal one hits the gas tank bottom and doesn’t fit quite right. The gas tank is plastic and is some what flexible thus making the distance from bottom to top slightly different in some cases.
    Other people have had the fine wires inside the original Fuel Sending Unit break and some one like John Hervey (http://specialtauto.com) offers to fix it.
    My original still works but I’m some what annoyed when the gas tank is low the fuel sloshes around and gas gage goes down to 0 and back up to 1/4 and back to 0 and back up to 1/4.
    I have to wonder with this new combined unit will the gas gage still go up and down and up and down when the gas is low in the tank?
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

According to the thread in vendor announcements, there are electronics in the new one to prevent exactly that.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

And how long before you offer this but 100 % stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I give it three months before Hervey has this reverse engineered.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I give it three months before Hervey has this reverse engineered.
    So... Four months then till he starts telling people he has "shipped hundreds of units all over the world with no complaints", and that Steven's pump is junk?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast