FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Integrated pump sender combo!

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

So I finally got this thing installed.

When I got back into town yesterday I immediately went to work on my basketcase fuel system. I pulled off my temporary aluminum foil pump hole cover and drained the fuel tank. Once I got all of the gas out of the tank I removed the old components from the bottom of the tank and inspected its condition. I was completely and utterly amazed at how clean the base of the tank was. It was incredibly spotless with no gunk or goo in sight, just a clean and dry fuel tank.

So I cleaned it anyway. I didn't drain the thing just to stare at it in amazement.

By the time I was through with the acetone, that fuel tank must have been about as close as you can get to having a factory-fresh unused tank. After letting it air out I began the installation of the new pump.

It was fairly straightforward, except the instructions didn't really make it too terribly clear on how exactly to vertically position the clamp. Once I figured that out and tightened everything down, I put in a couple of gallons of fresh gas, reconnected the battery, and tried starting the car.

Started up immediately, just like it did when I first got the car. I was very happy.

I cut the engine off, inspected the pump area for leaks, and then took it out for a 45 minute or so road test. The car ran perfectly the entire time. Brought it back to the house, reassembled everything (including reinstalling my passenger carpet and seat from another project) and then took it for a longer drive later in the evening to hang out with some friends. Once again it ran as smooth as silk, both going and coming home.

Big thanks to DMCH for making this part available. I'm very happy with it. (Except for that warranty though. Six months isn't exactly inspiring total confidence in the unit. Though I will say if it continues operating as well as it seems to be, I'll keep being pleased.)

- Chris

what

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Nice write up.
    Is it louder or about the same as the stock unit?
    Also, how does your fuel gauge behave now that its signal is integrated into the pump? Does the needle go to "Full" on a fill up? Does it fluctuate with dynamic conditions such as hills or turns?
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Nice write up.
    Is it louder or about the same as the stock unit?
    Also, how does your fuel gauge behave now that its signal is integrated into the pump? Does the needle go to "Full" on a fill up? Does it fluctuate with dynamic conditions such as hills or turns?
    I went to a gas station on my way to the city yesterday to fill the tank. The needle does indeed go to "Full" but it does seem to top out on the gauge a hair lower than the old sender. Not really a big deal.

The pump itself is actually noticeably quieter than the old pump.

It's also important to note that since the pump and sender are integrated into a single unit, the power to transmit the sender signal to the fuel gauge relies on the power being sent to the fuel pump. Long story short, that means you won't get any fuel level reading on the fuel gauge unless the engine is running. A minor point and not really a big deal, but still something important to keep in mind.

Fluctuations in the gauge reading while navigating hills simply did not happen at all. That was a nice change of pace.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    03572

I saw the cut away tank and this unit at DCS. It looks like the bottom pickup line self-adjusts to sit on the bottom of the tank. That is a great idea. My only concern is the plastic flex hose holding 75 PSI (or higher if your PPR is stuck). It's probably fine but I've never tested that type of hose in high pressure applications.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My main complaint about the new pump/sender unit is it doesn't come with a can of tuna. I looked all over in that tank and couldn't find a single thing to snack on.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    My main complaint about the new pump/sender unit is it doesn't come with a can of tuna. I looked all over in that tank and couldn't find a single thing to snack on.
    Ask for it to be shipped in the new foam peanuts. They are biodegradable i.e. edible.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Ask for it to be shipped in the new foam peanuts. They are biodegradable i.e. edible.
    Funny you mention that Dave. They're not just edible, they're quite tasty!! Now I get parts and a free snack at the same time.

Hope you guys pack my parts with clean hands... lol
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Wait, the fuel gauge power comes from the pump circuit now?

That's AWESOME. Think about it. If you have a sudden no start issue and you can't figure it out, you can check the fuel pump circuit just by switching the key to ON - if it has power and ground, the gauge will read.

That by itself makes this worth buying, in my opinion.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    06960

Wha? Unless the electronic unit goes full high or low upon poweroff, the fuel gauge will read where it left off after power was cut. The gauge itself is internally dampened and holds its own position when power is cut.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Wait, the fuel gauge power comes from the pump circuit now?

That's AWESOME. Think about it. If you have a sudden no start issue and you can't figure it out, you can check the fuel pump circuit just by switching the key to ON - if it has power and ground, the gauge will read.
    Downside: You can't tell how much gas is in the tank without starting the car. Again a minor point, but still important to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Unless the electronic unit goes full high or low upon poweroff
    It does.
    - Chris

what

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast