FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: windshield washer pump....

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

windshield washer pump....

I have just cleaned out my washer fluid reservoir. The washer system however no longer works. I can hear the pump operating.
    When I unplug the line to the pump (with the pump not running) fluid exits the pump freely.
    When I blow through the line that connects to the pump, air flows to the wiper freely.
    When I suck on the end of the line (where it comes out the wiper) water comes up from the reservoir freely.
    Why isn't the pump sending the water up the line?

any ideas?
    thanks
    John

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

That’s an interesting one. Did you some how pinch the clear hose when reinstalling the black plastic tub with the white reservoir bottle inside?
    I have done that. The clear hose got jammed in between the reservoir bottle and the edge of the fiberglass body. Right next to where the M5 bolts are holding the tub in place.
    Before connecting my new Washer Fluid Pump I removed the terminals from the electrical connectors. I then used my Dremel tool with a stainless steel brush attachment and cleaned the terminals. I forgot which one I pulled out first so I tried swapping the terminals in the connector.
    Did you some how have the wires in the wrong position in the electrical connector?
    Maybe the pump is spinning backwards??? And not producing enough push to get the fluid through. Just a thought.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Your pump could be weak (or the power to it).
    When you take the hose off of the pump there is less resistance, making the pump spout.
    Since you have it already off, you may want to replace the hose all the way.
    This way you have a new soft hose instead of a hard one and can be sure there's also no hard kink to obstruct passage.

I replaced the hose using a selftapping screw, cut the head off and screw it into the ends of the old and new hose.
    Done in a jiffy.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

The line is definitely not pinched.
    The motor is running but not pumping (just ordered a new one)

Excellent tip on replacing the line....willl definitely try that

thanks
    John

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    That’s an interesting one. Did you some how pinch the clear hose when reinstalling the black plastic tub with the white reservoir bottle inside?
    I have done that.

I've done that also. I think you need to tape or tywrap the line so it stays where there is clearance.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Dredging up the past here

Where should the hose route down into the "bucket"? I'm thinking it goes in the corner near the wire grommet, but not positive.