FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Spent the last 4 months putting a Chevy LS1 engine into my DeLorean, now it runs!

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Spent the last 4 months putting a Chevy LS1 engine into my DeLorean, now it runs!

Some people may be aware that I was putting a Chevy LS1 5.7L V8 engine into my car for my Senior Design Project in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Cincinnati. This weekend, after 9 months of planning and 4 months of physical work, I got the engine running. In addition to installing the LS1, the had to be converted from an automatic to a manual transmission.

Here's a video of the first start:

Currently there is no exhaust past the headers so it is VERY LOUD!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them as best as possible. It's obviously not totally finished, but it's getting close. I still have to pick out mufflers and pipe the exhaust as well as re-install the back end but not much else. Just clean up the wiring and put the console back in. I have a very large amount of photos so if you have any questions or want to see something specific just ask.

Also, since the beginning I've been documenting the project here:
    ls1delorean.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 05-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Since the forum doesn't allow more than one video per post, here is the other video I made:

This video is after I hooked up the throttle cable. The quality is better, however the first video does a much better job of expressing how loud it actually is.

This is the HOTNESS!! Serious HOTNESS!!! My votes on "DELVETT" for the license plate!!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

WOW, that thing is loud! Is the exhaust not on it yet?

Congrats! Can't wait to see some more video and hear how it runs for you.

EDIT: Was typing this as you were posting the second video. Yep, open headers would account for the noise Great project!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    WOW, that thing is loud! Is the exhaust not on it yet?

Congrats! Can't wait to see some more video and hear how it runs for you.

EDIT: Was typing this as you were posting the second video. Yep, open headers would account for the noise Great project!
    Yep, I have got to figure out what I'm going to do about the exhaust, haha, it is CRAZY loud right now. Though the first video is definitely louder, neither really does the sound justice.

As far as the license plate, I've thought of a lot of different ones. Currently it's 2 Z FUTUR but next go around I definitely want something that focuses on the engine. I was thinking maybe LS1 DMC, DVETTE, DELVET is cool too. It will be a tough decision.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

F'ing awesome! My favorite engine in my favorite car. That's going to be a monster! Haven't looked at your blog yet; is it a stock LS1?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    F'ing awesome! My favorite engine in my favorite car. That's going to be a monster! Haven't looked at your blog yet; is it a stock LS1?
    It's essentially stock. I didn't change any cams or anything. I am using Hooker engine hugging headers, (there is SO little room for this thing, lol) so thats a small upgrade. I had a place in town (Cincy Speed) reprogram the computer for me. They deleted all the anti theft passkey stuff, 2 of the 4 O2 sensors, all the transmission communication stuff, EGR, A/C (as I'm just going to let the DeLorean system run the compressor), and a few other things.

Once it's totally back together I plan on taking it to them for a dyno run and tune but since everything is brand new, (clutch, flywheel, etc), I need to put a LEAST 500mi on it, probably more like 1000 just to break it in before doing a dyno pull.

EDIT: Just noticed in your signature that you have a 97 Vette, very cool! My dad has a 98, and honestly, it's the reason I went with an LS1. After driving that, I was hooked on the engine. I briefly considered a Northstar, but then I figured if I was going to do the work, I should do it right, haha.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 05-06-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

I predict a 0-60 run of 4 seconds for that Delorean!

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    It's essentially stock. I didn't change any cams or anything. I am using Hooker engine hugging headers, (there is SO little room for this thing, lol) so thats a small upgrade. I had a place in town (Cincy Speed) reprogram the computer for me. They deleted all the anti theft passkey stuff, 2 of the 4 O2 sensors, all the transmission communication stuff, EGR, A/C (as I'm just going to let the DeLorean system run the compressor), and a few other things.

Once it's totally back together I plan on taking it to them for a dyno run and tune but since everything is brand new, (clutch, flywheel, etc), I need to put a LEAST 500mi on it, probably more like 1000 just to break it in before doing a dyno pull.

EDIT: Just noticed in your signature that you have a 97 Vette, very cool! My dad has a 98, and honestly, it's the reason I went with an LS1. After driving that, I was hooked on the engine. I briefly considered a Northstar, but then I figured if I was going to do the work, I should do it right, haha.
    Cool man, I think this swap has been tried before, but not successfully. Yeah, I noticed the 'vette in the video; that's awesome, I LOVE these cars. What are you using for a transmission?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Cool man, I think this swap has been tried before, but not successfully. Yeah, I noticed the 'vette in the video; that's awesome, I LOVE these cars. What are you using for a transmission?
    Call me crazy, but I'm actually using the DeLorean manual transmission. I spent a lot of time on the GT40 boards and they use our transmission all the time in their replicas. I have talked to many people who put small block fords and chevy's in front of the tranmission and said they put upwards of 450hp on a stock UN1 regularly. I completely rebuilt the transmission including using Toby's Bulletproof coupler so we'll see. I have accepted the fact that if I get stupid, it would likely be possible for me to break something inside.

I've driven the 2JZ Supra motor car and it uses the stock transmission too with the coupler and it's dyno results say 400hp so that definitely gives me confidence. Still that car is turbocharged so the torque build isn't quite as extreme as what I'll be looking at. If I actually do get stupid and blow the input shaft, I figure I'll consider the upgraded, one piece input shaft which is rated for upwards of 500hp:

I'm also considering the Quaife limited slip differential in the future.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 05-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast