FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 4.3 liter Chevy V6 installed in a Delorean.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

4.3 liter Chevy V6 installed in a Delorean.

This isn't something I would do, but i found it interesting.

This one of the CA owners. They mounted this to stock Delorean 5 speed with a custom clutch. The engine has been kicked up to 300hp.

Banned

I have serious doubts about that 4.3 making 300 HP unless it has nitrous or it's not shown with the actual exhaust used.

Several years ago on the .com site, someone listed a D with a 4.3 for sale. If memory serves, he wanted 18ish. From what I remember, an adapter plate was used and the fiberglass had to be cut to accommodate the water pump and pulleys. There used to be aluminum blocks for those but I think they're out of production for some time. Hot Rod did an article where they built up a 4.3 that I saved to my computer.
    2004 Acura RSX Type S - Daily Driver
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS - No, not a lowrider

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

This is a fantatstic idea! These engines are bulletproof. One of the best motors GM ever made. Probablly not the most powerful but one of the most durable and reliable. Had an Astro van with the same motor and at 340,000 miles it was still running strong. I've heard stories of these motors lasting until well over 500,000 miles with no major work done to it.

Pretty sure this motor will outlast the rest of the car.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    6585

I wouldn't call the 4.3 "bullet-proof", though it is a great engine. DEXCOOL mixed with owner neglect will cause serious damage on any GM engine. Usually the higher-mileage engines have switched either to regular antifreeze or the gold colored Universal types (colors may differ in other parts of the world). Depending also on where the engine came from will also determine the wear on those head gaskets as well. Since lots of Blazers and Astro vans only had 2-core radiators and clutch fans, the lifespan of these engines in the southwestern deserts can take it's toll.

I'm not saying it's a bad engine, but if you ever use one for a swap in any vehicle, you've got a little work ahead of you to bring the powerplant back up to par.

Banned

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?38...4556#post54556

'you buy my fast cam and nice piston, you car go gooder!'

Here is how you build a 300hp 4.3 with fantastic BSFC numbers and a very broad and flat torque curve.

The 300hp part is easy and amost anyone can do that almost by accident, although not with that stock exhaust, even if extrude honed quite a bit.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

There are several 4.3L engine swaps running around in DeLoreans for the past decade or more.

Darryl T. (PNW) installed a 4.3L V6 in a theft recovery DeLorean (purchased without an engine) back in 1990.
    I believe the initial install was NA, then he later upgraded it with a supercharger. Darryl ran a DeLorean 5-spd
    with an adapter plate he fabricated to fit the 4.3L engine. Darryl sold this DeLorean a few years ago.

Duke (Gulf Coast) is running a 4.3L Vortec V6 with a custom bell-housing and a Porsche 915 manual transmission.

Yellowmxwheels23 (DMCTalk forum name) has the old Clamato Rally DeLorean which also had a 4.3L Chevy V6.

The engine in the photos at the top of the post looks very similar to another engine project in progress in CA,
    but I will let that owner announce it when he is ready. IIRC, the engine will be going into a BTTF replica car.

Later,
    Rich W.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    There are several 4.3L engine swaps running around in DeLoreans for the past decade or more.

Darryl T. (PNW) installed a 4.3L V6 in a theft recovery DeLorean (purchased without an engine) back in 1990.
    I believe the initial install was NA, then he later upgraded it with a supercharger. Darryl ran a DeLorean 5-spd
    with an adapter plate he fabricated to fit the 4.3L engine. Darryl sold this DeLorean a few years ago.

Duke (Gulf Coast) is running a 4.3L Vortec V6 with a custom bell-housing and a Porsche 915 manual transmission.

Yellowmxwheels23 (DMCTalk forum name) has the old Clamato Rally DeLorean which also had a 4.3L Chevy V6.
    If the owners of these cars are on this forum, I sure would like to know the VINs of these cars.

Thomas