FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Does anybody else suck at cars?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Why is the 11mm fk'in wrench/socket always missing?
    My father took a job at the University in Honolulu. I have a feeling I will be spending a good amount of time out that way. If you ever need anything just let me know!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Sounds like a good many of your "I suck at cars" problems are the result of poor/lazy decisions rather than not understanding the work.

Nah, before this happened I didn't know line wrenches were required. I thought they were one of those optional things that only pros used. I had heard of them but didn't think they were required. I've changed probably 20 hard fuel, radiator and brake lines in the past 10 years with my regular wrenches with no problem whatsoever. In fact I had just removed and reinstalled this exact hard line no more than 6 months ago with the same tool that rounded it off yesterday.

Also, I am curious how me sighting one example of my problems over the last decade brought you to the understanding that most of my problems stem from being lazy. WTF?

I'll tell you one more thing that causes me problems to is my huge hands. I am 6'6 and it's tough getting these hands into certain places. Plus being that tall wrecks my back when bending over or trying to maneuver under the car. A lift would definitely be awesome. My only saving grace is that my wiener is big enough that I can use it as a third hand.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Yeah man, I'm with you too. I'm actually a mechanic (not cars) by profession, but I still suck at it. I always seem to end up breaking stuff too. So much of it seems to be trial and error. Having never done some of the most basic maintenance items before, some stuffs just a bit complicated. Ever do a job, get done with it, and realize that it really was easy or not as hard as you thought and that if you had to do it again it would be no prob? I find that happens to me a lot. I also get your feelings of "I should know how to do this". Sometimes, you just have to decide if learning as you go is more important/cost effective, or "contracting" it out so to speak is just better. Not everyone has the time, mechanical inclination, or facilities to do automotive work. So I always keep a trustworthy mechanic's number handy, and DMCTalk at the ready. This site has probably saved me so much time and money, it's awesome. But it sure is nice to know someone else has a similar issue. I'M NOT ALONE!!

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Also, I am curious how me sighting one example of my problems over the last decade brought you to the understanding that most of my problems stem from being lazy. WTF? .
    Because that was the sole example you pointed out. Besides, I said "many" and not "most". If the one example you highlight was the result of "I could have done it the right way but I didn't feel like it", that's the expressway to a judgement call.

Everything else aside, I too would love a lift. And I'm not even much of a car guy.

My VIN:    4534

I love cars and working on them for the most part. Losing tools while working on the car is my biggest problem. I set the wrench down while I'm trying to get my hands into a spot and then I can't find the blasted thing. One of the most common phrases you'd hear me mutter or shout is "I just had the f***ing thing!" Normally I don't curse but working by myself on a car is a great way to get out frustration.

I did a lot of car repair work with my father growing up but I was usually holding the flashlight or fetching tools. I started really learning repair on my Nova as I tore her apart. I learned to weld and rebuild an engine with that car. She's still in restoration (8 years ) but she's the reason I have a running classic Mustang and my Delorean. I bought Red confident that I could tackle any issue she threw at me short of A/C and transmission work.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3