FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what this part is called outside the DeLorean world?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Anyone know what this part is called outside the DeLorean world?

http://store.delorean.com/p-6660-aeronut-m6.aspx

I need to get some of these locally today, but googling 'Aeronut' only turns up a bunch of articles on hot air ballooning (and the DMCH part)

Does this sort of fastener have a different trade name? Is it completely unique or is it something I might find at Ace?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

These nuts are common in aircraft. You won't find them in your local hardware store. They have a piece of plastic crimped into the end so they won't come loose. Search for AN hardware. Many places will only sell a large minimum quantity of each size. Places like DMCH will sell you one at a time but it is still cheaper than buying more than you need.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    http://store.delorean.com/p-6660-aeronut-m6.aspx

I need to get some of these locally today, but googling 'Aeronut' only turns up a bunch of articles on hot air ballooning (and the DMCH part)

Does this sort of fastener have a different trade name? Is it completely unique or is it something I might find at Ace?

They don't seem to have plastic inserts (I took some out of my door and somehow lost a couple last night) but the unique feature they *do* have is that slit in the top that allows you to jam it on the end of a screwdriver to get it started. Virtually impossible to get the thing positioned without that.

I may just have to get some M6 nyloc nuts and get creative when it comes to getting them into position. Guess we'll see what the store's got for me.
    Jon

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Well f$*# me !!!

The amount of time I (and several others) spent during the last tech session trying to get those on the door handle studs, and dropping them down inside the door. We marveled at the special design of these nuts but not one of us thought about using a screwdriver.

I would feel a real dumbass if it wasn't for all the other guys doing the same thing.

Thank you a thousand times for showing us the forest as I have to do it all again next month.

Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Well f$*# me !!!

The amount of time I (and several others) spent during the last tech session trying to get those on the door handle studs, and dropping them down inside the door. We marveled at the special design of these nuts but not one of us thought about using a screwdriver.

I would feel a real dumbass if it wasn't for all the other guys doing the same thing.

Thank you a thousand times for showing us the forest as I have to do it all again next month.

LOL! I discovered that feature PURELY by accident, sitting on the floor of the driver's side ready to roll the car into the street for the Tuesday trash pickup. I was trying anything I could to jam the nut on the handle stud - using a 1mm smaller hex driver hoping to capture the smaller section at the top, using tape, magnets, everything. I was idly sitting there staring at it contemplating my next move and absentmindedly stabbed the thing with a long blade driver. It stuck, and only went down 1 or 2 threads. I stared at it numbly for a second and then realized that it was probably designed to be used that way. It installed perfectly in no more than 3 seconds after that.

So that's why I don't want to go settle for any old nut at the store....
    Jon

LOL! I discovered that feature PURELY by accident, sitting on the floor of the driver's side ready to roll the car into the street for the Tuesday trash pickup.
    ???

To top off a frustrating occasion, once we finally got it on (thanks to small-handed Chris) I gave the nut one tweak too many and snapped the stud off followed by

I had really not been looking forward to replacing it. This has just made my day.
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

???

To top off a frustrating occasion, once we finally got it on (thanks to small-handed Chris) I gave the nut one tweak too many and snapped the stud off followed by

I had really not been looking forward to replacing it. This has just made my day.
    LOL, it was trash day. I had to take the cans to the curb and walking back into the garage to a half dissasembled and extremely frustrating D just made me think "I'm allowed one major junk pickup per year... maybe this is a sign"

Fortunately I didn't.

Glad to make your day, can you overnight me 4 of those nuts?

I think I will give Danny at Garden Grove a call and see if they can get some out here in an expeditious manner.
    Jon

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I may just have to get some M6 nyloc nuts and get creative when it comes to getting them into position.
    They're called "flex lock" or "flexloc" nuts.

Place a piece of trash bag over the socket, push the nut in and remove the excess. Now the nut won't fall out. If you turn the nut backwards until you just feel it click, it will start w/o cross threading every time...
    Last edited by Ron; 05-09-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Glad to make your day, can you overnight me 4 of those nuts?

If I had any, they would be on their way to you.

3 of the 4 I have are holding the door handles on, while the 4th is rattling around inside the door. And they are the metal handles also!
    Dermot

If I had any, they would be on their way to you.

3 of the 4 I have are holding the door handles on, while the 4th is rattling around inside the door. And they are the metal handles also!
    Aw, thanks. No worries, I will see what I can rustle up.

Protip: The channels in the door handle area empty out directly behind the lock solenoid/actuator. Remove that and your nut will be right there. After dropping mine for the 20th time I removed the actuator and could pick the nut back up as soon as I dropped it.
    Jon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast