FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: What do YOU want to see the "DeLorean" name on next?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Why not stainless
    I guess that's what I meant.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    A silver megaphone through which Chad can shout "get off my lawn" at the neighborhood kids.

Now THIS is my favorite idea in this thread.

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    I'd like to see it on a good looking baseball cap. For some reason DMCH has a tough time making a nice looking hat. Give me a nice Pro-Fit cap that is dark in color with a really nice simple design. Every time they make one it is either cheap looking, hard to read or weird looking (like their last one where they tried to make it look like stainless steel).
    Getting back to the original topic at hand, I happen to agree; DMC has yet to make a great baseball cap. They gave away a green cap back in 2006 at the Chicago DCS, and that was a great cap. Just the DMC logo and delorean.com on the back. These new stainless steel caps look awful; made for rappers or hipsters... not DeLorean owners/enthusiasts. Unless that's the base DMC is marketing towards? I sure hope not. Even Bricklin has a better cap, as I was able to pick one up at the DCS with the Bricklin owners in Gettysburg.

The DeLorean Owners Association had a leather key fob they did a couple of years back, with the DMC logo on it. I can only assume that the DOA could no longer produce anything with the DMC logo on it after Houston retained the rights to the DMC and DeLorean font/logo. It's baffled me that they haven't done anything like this yet, and instead has given us heavy pewter keychains, more for decoration or novelty rather than actual use.

Don't get me wrong, DMCH does have some nice stuff. My favourite is the DMC Staff t-shirt! And that LIVE THE DREAM poster that they printed only 500 of; so glad they did that. It was always my favourite piece of original DeLorean advertising. I'm surprised that didn't sell-out of those as soon as they became available.

It would just be nice to see some more simple things coming out. Go to Porsche or Aston Martin's (https://store.astonmartin.com/home.asp) website and look at their merchandise. Simple stuff... the logo on a baseball cap, a windbreaker with the logo on it.

Quote Originally Posted by martydmc12 View Post
    I can only assume that the DOA could no longer produce anything with the DMC logo on it after Houston retained the rights to the DMC and DeLorean font/logo.
    They DO NOT have the rights to these things. They only TELL PEOPLE that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    They DO NOT have the rights to these things. They only TELL PEOPLE that they do.
    Is that documented somewhere? I think I saw a link to something that suggested that the copy right lapsed and DMCH picked it up a "stylized" version of the GG designed logo. So yeah am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Is that documented somewhere? I think I saw a link to something that suggested that the copy right lapsed and DMCH picked it up a "stylized" version of the GG designed logo. So yeah am I missing something?
    Yes, it is. The trademark registered by DMC for the logo expired and fell into the public domain. DMCH registered the "stylized" logo and could attempt to sue for copyright infringement, but it'd never go to court as it's a dead logo. To give it some perspective, it's like how South Park used the Braniff International Airways logo for their production company; including a portion of the original commercials, until they renamed it in 2007. Once a trademark expires and is unregistered, it becomes public domain. You can look up the trademark registry for the DMC logo from the 1980s and find that it lapsed years before DMCH existed. It's also why Delaware North Companies can use a logo that looks nearly-identical to the one used by DMC. In short, nobody can own the original DMC logo because it's in the realm of public domain.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Maybe I should open up my own Delorean Motor Company in Baton Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Yes, it is. The trademark registered by DMC for the logo expired and fell into the public domain. DMCH registered the "stylized" logo and could attempt to sue for copyright infringement, but it'd never go to court as it's a dead logo. To give it some perspective, it's like how South Park used the Braniff International Airways logo for their production company; including a portion of the original commercials, until they renamed it in 2007. Once a trademark expires and is unregistered, it becomes public domain. You can look up the trademark registry for the DMC logo from the 1980s and find that it lapsed years before DMCH existed. It's also why Delaware North Companies can use a logo that looks nearly-identical to the one used by DMC. In short, nobody can own the original DMC logo because it's in the realm of public domain.
    Yup! Thats what it was! Now I can be more precise when I tell people. It really is a funny thing. I remember a while back, jus about a week before I got my D, I was at Autozone and there was a really cherry looking Chevy C-10 and the tailgate had the DMC style letters and under it read "Dane Motor Company". I asked the owner about it and he said it was the place that restored his truck... Hmmm ok then.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Maybe I should open up my own Delorean Motor Company in Baton Rouge.
    You could call it DeLorean Two
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    1150

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    You could call it DeLorean Two
    And now that Ed B has retired, you could take him on as a part timer, kinda like an elderly greeter at Walmart, LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4