FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on car to buy?

Thoughts on car to buy?

Been looking for a delorean to drive thats in close to perfect condition that has all the updates needed to enjoy as every day transport.
    Please tell me what you think, good bad, pretty/ugly, the truth. Thanks so much

Jason

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...03cc9b4f#v4-41

My VIN:    11596

That car looks so nice it shouldn't be used for a daily driver! Call tony at dmcfl, I'm sure he has been working on it considering it has the new all in one fuel pump.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I disagree. Buy that sucker and drive the snot out of it.

Dmc buy advise

Thank you...any idea of other things that loom to be done or things that need to be looking at car and description. The communities help is so very appreciated!! I have wanted a dmc for years but want one thats ready and won't cost a dime to retrofit or update to reliability and I also wanted one that was as close to perfect cos tic condition as possible.

Any and all advise is appreciated

Thanks

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You won't get that no matter how much you spend.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by alvinarchiealf11 View Post
    Been looking for a delorean to drive thats in close to perfect condition that has all the updates needed to enjoy as every day transport.
    Please tell me what you think, good bad, pretty/ugly, the truth. Thanks so much

Jason
    Hey Jason,

Good luck on your search. Just one bit of advice to offer: I know you are looking at finding a DeLorean in "perfect" condition with all the updates done and ready to drive everyday, but just realize that even if you do find that great car, it will not stay that way. Make sure you are prepared to deal with a car that is 31 years old and will break down from time to time. That happens to even the best DeLoreans occassionally.

I'm not trying to sway you from becoming a DeLorean owner, but you're better off knowing the truth now, rather than hoping you find the perfect one and that it stays that way forever. If you find one without any frame rust, has all the updated recalls or improvements, then sure, you won't have to go back and do those things again very often, but you will discover that every so often something new comes up. This could be a few days after you get it home, or 6 months to a year down the road.

The cars are definitely ones that can be enjoyed, but it becomes very difficult to enjoy them if you don't understand that they won't stay perfect for ever, and you will have to do some work on them yourself, or pay someone to do it for you. Factor in the potential (not always) of going out somewhere and getting stranded with a car that won't start, and that's more than some people/girlfriends/wives are willing to put up with. You'd only have to look at a few of our friends on this forum here, that don't own their cars anymore. One comes to mind in Colorado Springs...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

As always, get some frame pics on this car. Looks great on top, but you never know.

As stated above, the only guarantees with a 30+ year old car is that it will break down, and will need repairs, it's just a matter of when. Maybe not to the parts that have been addressed, but grounds, shocks, bearings, grounds, brakes, grounds etc can all raise their heads. So keep a few $ in reserve.

Having said all that, this looks to be about a good a car as I've seen on the private market, based on the info provided.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Few more ?'s

Thank you all so much for your very helpful responses. Can you give me a list of all thenpivitol recalls or improvements that NEED to be done to any dmc. I want to make sure ALL have been done. I do understand it is a 30 year old vehicle, had a 1964 230sl Mercedes that I adored but could never be 100 percent reliable, but loved it!

I am only honking of putting a couple thousand miles on the vehicle, but expect it to function almost as well as a daily driver, and DO understand, little quirks and mechanical issues will and do come up, I just want to buy the RIGHT car!!!

tHaNKS

QUOTE=Jonathan;56572]Hey Jason,

Good luck on your search. Just one bit of advice to offer: I know you are looking at finding a DeLorean in "perfect" condition with all the updates done and ready to drive everyday, but just realize that even if you do find that great car, it will not stay that way. Make sure you are prepared to deal with a car that is 31 years old and will break down from time to time. That happens to even the best DeLoreans occassionally.

I'm not trying to sway you from becoming a DeLorean owner, but you're better off knowing the truth now, rather than hoping you find the perfect one and that it stays that way forever. If you find one without any frame rust, has all the updated recalls or improvements, then sure, you won't have to go back and do those things again very often, but you will discover that every so often something new comes up. This could be a few days after you get it home, or 6 months to a year down the road.

The cars are definitely ones that can be enjoyed, but it becomes very difficult to enjoy them if you don't understand that they won't stay perfect for ever, and you will have to do some work on them yourself, or pay someone to do it for you. Factor in the potential (not always) of going out somewhere and getting stranded with a car that won't start, and that's more than some people/girlfriends/wives are willing to put up with. You'd only have to look at a few of our friends on this forum here, that don't own their cars anymore. One comes to mind in Colorado Springs... [/QUOTE]

Not to scare you dude, but from what I've come to understand this: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...VIN-4117/page2 was one of those "perfect" cars of which you speak. I guess what I'm REALLY saying is that there's no such thing. But I'd recommend buying from an enthusiast.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Jason,
    Look at the vehicle history. In 2002 it had about 9200 miles and now 10 years later it has 13,xxx miles. This car has hardly been used in a decade. Cars like this, if you buy them and actually start to use them for daily transport, that is when stuff breaks. You need to find a car that has been gone through and actually used more like a real car to get all the bugs worked out. Spending $4,000 on a few repairs is nothing but a drop in the bucket on a DeLorean. The rule of thumb is $1,000 for every year it sits, you do the math. My advice is to keep looking. Cars such as you describe change hands very little and are much more rare than one like this. I could be wrong, as I don't know this car personally. I would still do more homework though. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast