FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 5-speed shifter is a bit loose and sloppy

My VIN:    6272

Ok so the shift linkage bushings are definitely bad and need to be replaced. But, how the heck does one even reach the darn things? The only space I see is the one small opening under the frame where the bellcrank is, and I can barely even get one hand in there! Is there an easy way to access all of that?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eldusto84 View Post
    Ok so the shift linkage bushings are definitely bad and need to be replaced. But, how the heck does one even reach the darn things? The only space I see is the one small opening under the frame where the bellcrank is, and I can barely even get one hand in there! Is there an easy way to access all of that?
    If you remove the console and rubber dampener covering the shifter mechanism, you can unclip the cross shift cable and remove the 4 M6 bolts holding the mechanism in place and the entire shifter assembly will come up (if you've already removed the linkage from the bellcrank). I'm assuming this is the only way. I've only ever done it to a bare frame but I dont think having the body on would get in the way. You can install and remove the shifter mechanism with the first linkage rod still attached.

Once it's out, pull the pivot bolt, swap out both bushings and the little plastic sleeves and re-install. Then do the same for the linkage on the other side of the bellcrank.

On a side note, does anyone know what these two bolts are for?

Looking back at when I did my transmission swap, I'm noticing that I definitely didn't have whatever that was:
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 05-21-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3