FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Side Stripe Variations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Side Stripe Variations

Howdy Folks,

Now that I have the side stripe template I have started messing around with changes to the graphics in an attempt to make my stripes a little different. The goal was to keep the updates very subtle/stock looking, with the exception of the one that incorporates my VIN in the "Rustproof" font that's been floating around (#5 is the stock design).

Any thoughts on the attached comps? I might still go with repro stock stripes, but figured I'd go through this exercise...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SoCalDMC12; 06-14-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typos

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

I like #5 the best.

#5 is what I ended up using (it's the stock design).

The template seemed pretty simple, so rather than having a sign maker cut the pattern, I just bought some adhesive vinyl and cut the side stripes myself. It's time consuming, but not difficult. Plus, at about $40 for the material, I wouldn't feel bad about peeling these off if I want to try some other design, color, or texture.

There are a few flaws but they're so small that I doubt anyone will notice besides me, even up close.

My VIN:    16655

I'm kind of interested in how this works out... it may play into something I'm going to be experimenting with myself in the next few weeks.

Well, the side stripes went on fine. I'm a little concerned that the thin portions in the DMC logo may come off, but only time will tell. (I'm letting the vinyl cure for a few days before washing the car.)

Note:
    - Some of the line work in the DMC logo looks a little off in the digital file. Easy to fix in Adobe Illustrator, or you can just compensate when cutting the templates.

- I used the "wet application method", which allows you to move the material around a bit to line things up properly. (There are a lot of youtube videos out there, if you've never done it.)

Good luck!

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I aim to put one on mine, but I would have liked to see a combination of #4 and #5 VIN under a small DMC logo..