FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: anyone need a electrical engineer/designer/troubleshooter?? I need a change

anyone need a electrical engineer/designer/troubleshooter?? I need a change

Hey guys, I work for a heavy rail equipment manufacturer in SC. I used to love the job when I was in the office doing a little designing, then I would be on the shop floor to see the machine built, and finally on the test track to troubleshoot any problems and see everything ran smooth.

Our company is going the way most in the US are by outsourcing whatever they can and "streamlining" engineering by hiring more bosses to tell me what to do.

Well, now all I am allowed to do is sit in my cubicle and stare at a computer that works when it wants to. My life is quickly becoming that of Peter's in office space and it isn't funny anymore.

Recently they told us we have to do mandatory 50 hour weeks with no compensation, I am salary. Well this has finally broke my spirit as when I get home I am too mentally exhausted to even work on my Delorean rebuild project.

I have the D down to the frame currently and am working on repairing the rust in the front before I weld on a new front frame extension. Then off to the galvanizers.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little and throw out a line to anyone who has connections. I will be looking for jobs in the St. Louis, MO area in the coming months as that is where my family is. However, before I can get there I need to get the D frame done and the body back in place, I do have my priorities.

I love working with my hands and designing/troubleshooting electrical/hydraulic/pneumatic systems and I want to get back to that.

Feel free to vent along with me

Geez, I know how you feel.

I was one of several applications designers, builders and enablers for one of our company’s mission areas, until I found myself in I.T. round-up. Management said the mission area developers where silo-ed, and they wanted to cross train us into different areas, and others cross-trained into our specific areas. We went along with it because we had to, but none of us are happy.

Now, instead of building software applications, I spend the bulk of my time doing Government Risk & Compliance (GRC’s), Disaster Recovery Plans (DRC’s), Life Cycle Maintenance Plances (LCM’s) and writing and documenting test scripts. Only occasionally do I get work on an application problem or improvement (only because they come and ask me questions), and almost never to I get to design anything any more. Another group of central developers gets to do that. The bosses say they don’t have enough people to do what I now have to do, and that they can get anybody to develop. How can I argue with that?

So here I sit, doing a job I hate, for more money then what I got as a developer. I’ve looked for another job within our company, which is large, but haven’t found anything yet, and they wonder why I would take less money to do it (they think something is wrong with me…rather than if I like my job or not).

Sorry that I can't help you with your situation. Thanks for letting me vent too.

I know what you mean about people thinking your crazy for wanting happiness rather than going for more money. I'm at the point that I don't know if I can use my BSEE because most jobs land you inside in a damn cube. So, when I tell people I would rather be a field engineer even if it meant a pay cut I get the deer in the headlights look