FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stopped starting

My VIN:    2506

Stopped starting

I'm too far away from the car to tinker with it so I have to ask..

After a Stage 2 install years ago, the car started to get harder to start (electrical). I made modifications to the positive battery-alternator-starter wire as I was told by DMCH due to my early VIN. DMCF already updated the relay wiring I think.

At first, it was fine. But later on, the starting got finicky. I often had to hold the ignition for several seconds and then it would start. Sometimes I would even have to jar the transmission by pushing the car a bit before it would start.

Now after sitting for almost a month, it wont even start. I put a new battery in and still nothing. After several attempts, it started just one time but quickly died (because it sat too long--beside the point).

It push starts just fine.

Any ideas? I may have a 2 day window coming up to work on it, so I'm hoping to bang it out ASAP.

Thanks

My VIN:    03572

So your starter motor is not cranking the engine?
    Do you hear any click when you try to start it?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Replace/Rebuild the starter
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I hear nothing. All accessory electricity works but turning the key to start does absolutely nothing.

However, when the delay occurs: Turn key and hold for 3 - 5 seconds > then clicks > cranks

Now it just seems the delay is infinite. I am about ready to replace the starter after all this.

I'm out of the loop. Where's the best place to get a starter now?
    Last edited by Fox2506; 05-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox2506 View Post
    I'm out of the loop. Where's the best place to get a starter now?
    Dave is the best vendor to get a starter from and he ships really quick. I certainly don't want to take from his business so I won't tell you that Autozone has equipment capable of testing 91 Eagle Premier Starters. They should be able to test Delorean starters as well.

I would get the starter tested before replacing it though. Most part stores can test starters for free. What type of exhaust system do you have? Starter removal/replacement is a breeze with a stock exhaust. I hear it can be a little difficult with some of those fancy smancy aftermarket exhaust systems.

Stage II exhaust. I remember the starter heat shield was the toughest part to get in, and yeah I might have to remove the header. At least the starter bolts are on the other side.

How do they test it? Do they hook up directly to it, or just plug up to your battery or something?

Banned

I don't think they can test it on the car. You bring the part in and they hook it up to a machine to test it. It's pretty interesting to watch.

My VIN:    3299

I had nearly the exact same identical problem. After a while, it simply would not crank or even try to turn over. Your starter solenoid is going bad. I'd replace your starter and starter solenoid.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Thanks for all the information.

I found a Duralast at Autozone for $100 plus $45 core, locally. Hopefully this is the one you guys are talking about.

I looked for parts for my other car on RockAuto, so I looked at Premier starters there. I found a Bosch ($175), ACDelco ($145), and Pure Energy ($135), FYI. I think I'll stick with the Autozone option though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fox2506 View Post
    I found a Duralast at Autozone for $100 plus $45 core, locally. Hopefully this is the one you guys are talking about.
    Sounds about right to me. On another note, don't give your old starter to Autozone for the $45 core. Keep it and put it up for sale. While many of us like the Eagle starters, there are pleny of people out there that would love to buy the old starter from you. I know of at least one vendor who pays core plus $10 and shipping for old starters.

If you want to get greedy and double dip you can sell your old starter to a vendor and go searching the bone yard for an old eagle premier or volvo. If you find the right starter you can buy it cheap and bring it to Autozone for your core.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast