FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3.0 PRV Swap Basics/Overview Question

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Wow, I always assumed the 3.0 swap was pretty easy/straightforward as far as swaps were concerned. Looks like I was wrong. Though there were certainly other challanges, I didn't have to worry about any of this fuel stuff with the LS1.

Banned

Bill Robertson built engine mounts which would have worked for mounting the 3.0L in stock form, but DMCTalk banned him for whatever reason (p.s. i think it was because users couldnt figure out how to use the block posts feature). Try looking him up. He would probably build you a set if you threw him a few bucks.

My VIN:    2506

I've mentioned this before, but 2 years ago I pulled a Volvo 3.0L junkyard engine out of my D. Everything else was still DeLorean though (computer, mounts, fuel dist., etc..). I didn't notice for years because only the block, valves, and valve covers were Volvo. The harness was close to DeLorean style but had the Volvo badge embossed on the connector boots.

My point is that it was hell getting to run well at first. However, just before it died, I had it running pretty well (not sure about the performance though). I guess neither I or the previous owner realized you needed to change fuel/spark application.

That engine went back to the junkyard before I could document it.

Edit: a professional told me it was a 3.0L, so there's a chance it actually wasn't, and that's why it worked. But it definitely had a Volvo tag next to the oil sending unit.
    Last edited by Fox2506; 06-05-2012 at 03:59 PM.

My VIN:    00910

My harness has Volvo badges all over it.
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    Bill Robertson built engine mounts which would have worked for mounting the 3.0L in stock form, but DMCTalk banned him for whatever reason (p.s. i think it was because users couldnt figure out how to use the block posts feature). Try looking him up. He would probably build you a set if you threw him a few bucks.
    How different is the mounting of the lower block? It's not that difficult to fabricate different engine mounts. To me, it seems like that's easier than changing the lower block and loosing the crank position sensor.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Keep in mind you gain that sweet finned aluminum oil pan with the DMC bottom end instead of that ugly pressed steel one on 3.0s

Im thinking I may attempt to retro fit the DMC distributor on to my 3.0. the distributor casting is still there on the the front of the left head but it needs to be drilled out and then I will have to machine the cam shaft end and press on a worm drive gear to drive the distributor shaft.

Has anyone attempted that before?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox2506 View Post
    I've mentioned this before, but 2 years ago I pulled a Volvo 3.0L junkyard engine out of my D.

Edit: a professional told me it was a 3.0L, so there's a chance it actually wasn't,
    Since Volvo never used the 3 litre PRV, it's unlikely. It was used by Renault, Peugeot and Citroen.

-----

I've alwyas said that a PRV engine swap is the easy bit - It can easily be made to bolt right on. The challenge then comes with the management system.

Personally I use the later UN1 bellhousing whose only difference is the provision for a flywheel-based crank angle sensor. The later flywheel incorporates a trigger ring which in true Renault style is a non-standard 66/3 pattern which I modify slightly so it can be read by the Adaptronic engine management unit.
    Last edited by DCUK Martin; 06-06-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Master Fabricator protodelorean's Avatar

My VIN:    02650

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Since Volvo never used the 3 litre PRV, it's unlikely. It was used by Renault, Peugeot and Citroen.

-----

I've alwyas said that a PRV engine swap is the easy bit - It can easily be made to bolt right on. The challenge then comes with the management system.

That's what I said back in post 4. Bolting on a Delorean engine cradle is about as easy as it gets. No reason to make that more difficult. (Fabricating custom engine mounts)

Quote Originally Posted by protodelorean View Post
    That's what I said back in post 4.
    Indeed you did sir

Mine's an Adaptronic by the way. I haven't had half the fun and games the MS people seem to have had...

http://adaptronic.com.au/
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2